Home Sports Talk

Case Keenum to the

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Broncos

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hated to see him go. Now we'll see if he was a one year wonder.

I would have kept him and spent on the offensive line.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

everyone felt that the broncos were going to get a QB , surprised it was him though. Elway is cheap like Bellichek and wouldnt pay cousins kind of money

Keenum looked VERY good last year, I will be cheering for him unless he is playing the Vikings ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I really hated to see him go. Now we'll see if he was a one year wonder.

I would have kept him and spent on the offensive line.

Totally agree but what do we know?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keenum seems to be a very good game manager, I think with D Thomas and Sanders he can make the Broncos far better on offense

I am confused at what seems to be the prevailing (?) opinion that Keenum is a "journeyman" or a "game manager". Before last year he played parts of seasons for teams that weren't too good.

Even though he was the backup at the beginning of last year he stepped in and led the team VERY well. The offensive line was just ok and I saw Case make quite a few moves to avoid the rush, he doesn't have a howitzer for an arm, but he throws a nice deep ball. Very good at the short to medium passes too.

Remember he lost his best running back early in the year too. He did have some very good receivers in Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph, but part of what made them so good was his getting them the ball.

I thought he looked a little better than Bridgewater when he was in there, maybe not by a huge margin, but definitely better.

I'm not saying he is the next Drew Brees or Tom Brady, but I wouldn't bet against him developing into something close!

Good luck Case, I was sorry to see you go!!!!!!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully my favorite team will be back in the playoff hunt after signing Keenum.

@JoeBanzai said:
    I am confused at what seems to be the prevailing (?) opinion that Keenum is a "journeyman" or a "game manager". Before last year he played parts of seasons for teams that weren't too good.

Even though he was the backup at the beginning of last year he stepped in and led the team VERY well. The offensive line was just ok and I saw Case make quite a few moves to avoid the rush, he doesn't have a howitzer for an arm, but he throws a nice deep ball. Very good at the short to medium passes too.

Remember he lost his best running back early in the year too. He did have some very good receivers in Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph, but part of what made them so good was his getting them the ball.

I thought he looked a little better than Bridgewater when he was in there, maybe not by a huge margin, but definitely better.

I'm not saying he is the next Drew Brees or Tom Brady, but I wouldn't bet against him developing into something close!

Why didnt they keep him? If I was the Vikings I would have kept him and not signed Cousins

I say Keenum is a decent game manager because he brought a very good Vikings team to the NFC Championship game. He didn’t “Wow” anyone with Brady/Manning type stats but got the job done, that’s more than a typical journeyman QB does. Ofcourse there is the case of Nick Foles but he was surrounded by an immensely talented team

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Why didnt they keep him? If I was the Vikings I would have kept him and not signed Cousins

I would have kept Keenum too. Time will tell who was right.> @perkdog said:

I say Keenum is a decent game manager because he brought a very good Vikings team to the NFC Championship game. He didn’t “Wow” anyone with Brady/Manning type stats but got the job done, that’s more than a typical journeyman QB does. Ofcourse there is the case of Nick Foles but he was surrounded by an immensely talented team

Keenum had a rating of 98.3 with the Vikings, Brady is at 97.6 for his career.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 5:07PM

Keenum was a mediocre QB with a career QB rating below 80 before starting last season on a very good Vikings team. He wasn't the starter till injuries sidelined Bradford and Bridgewater and even then it seemed he was always one or two poor starts away from being benched even while the team was winning. Let's see how he does in Denver before we mention him and Tom Brady in the same sentence.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited March 15, 2018 6:20PM

Joe I’m with you bud but please don’t lose me by talking QB rating between Keenums short stint with the Vikes vs Brady’s career!

@perkdog said:
    Joe I’m with you bud but please don’t lose me by talking QB rating between Keenums short stint with the Vikes vs Brady’s career!

Well, you brought up Brady and Manning, so I took a look at their respective QB ratings and saw they had some superlative years and some not any better than Keenum's last year.

I also posted (possibly in another thread) that I didn't think he would be as good as Brady, but maybe close. What I was trying to say was Brady and Manning had plenty of years with lower QB ratings than Case did.

Who's to say Case's year was a fluke, he could improve for the next several years.

@grote15 said:
    Keenum was a mediocre QB with a career QB rating below 80 before starting last season on a very good Vikings team. He wasn't the starter till injuries sidelined Bradford and Bridgewater and even then it seemed he was always one or two poor starts away from being benched even while the team was winning. Let's see how he does in Denver before we mention him and Tom Brady in the same sentence.

He had an 88 rating in 2015. I am not familiar with how good Houston was 2013-14 he was a rookie and rookies often take a while to develop.

I watched every single game he played in last year and he looked very good in all aspects of the game. Made a few bonehead throws, but he did everything he was asked of and more.

How can you say he was mediocre when he never played a full year as a starter, much less on a good team. I think last year showed he is a legitimate starter, not a "game manager".

I am not saying he will ever be a top 5 QB but I'll bet he'll come close. Of course he will have to play for a good team.

It's a team game!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 8:46PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:

He had an 88 rating in 2015. I am not familiar with how good Houston was 2013-14 he was a rookie and rookies often take a while to develop.

I watched every single game he played in last year and he looked very good in all aspects of the game. Made a few bonehead throws, but he did everything he was asked of and more.

How can you say he was mediocre when he never played a full year as a starter, much less on a good team. I think last year showed he is a legitimate starter, not a "game manager".

I am not saying he will ever be a top 5 QB but I'll bet he'll come close. Of course he will have to play for a good team.

It's a team game!

He had a great season last year, no question. Of course, it's a team game. No one is saying it isn't, but fairly or not, QBs get a lot of credit or blame for wins and losses in that regard.

Minnesota ownership obviously thought he was playing above his head a bit or they wouldn't have broken the bank for Cousins.

2018 season will go a long way towards determining if they made the right decision or not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

And If not for a fluke one in a thousand play they get bounced in their first playoff game

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:

It's a team game!

He had a great season last year, no question. Of course, it's a team game. No one is saying it isn't, but fairly or not, QBs get a lot of credit or blame for wins and losses in that regard.

Minnesota ownership obviously thought he was playing above his head a bit or they wouldn't have broken the bank for Cousins.

2018 season will go a long way towards determining if they made the right decision or not.

Vikings have relatively new owners who have been spending a TON of money. They kicked in millions more than they "had" to to make some improvements to the new stadium and many millions more on practice facilities etc. Looks great, but can you buy a Super Bowl? The Wilf family has transformed the Vikings back into a first class football team and organization.

Cousins looks to have a better arm, but I don't think we are getting enough of an "upgrade", if getting a slightly better QB means we can't fix some other holes. Looks to me like they need to win in the next couple of years or they will begin losing some of their top defensive players to free agency.

Talk radio has been saying the Vikings still have money to spend under the cap.

2018 will certainly give us some answers!

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:

It's a team game!

Agreed.

case keenum is no brady :D not even close . Hes decent but he will never be on any top 20 QB list . He can win a super bowl though and could have this past season with a little luck. You don't have to be Tom Brady to win one , Nick Foles just did it.

Tony Romo had a higher QB rating than Brady . Its just another worthless stat that means very little in terms of win loss record which is the only stat that ever matters

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taking the Brady/Manning/QB rating talk out of it, I would have kept Keenum over signing Cousins. Say what you want about Keenum's play last season but he did QB the Vikings into the NFC Championship game where they lost to the best team in football. I've always been of the mindset that it sucked watching the Pats lose in the playoffs but usually it took the the eventual SB winning team to do it which took away a bit of the sting for me.
    The Vikings were right at the doorstep of making the SB and who knows,a few changes here or there could possibly get them in it next time around. They could have probably re-signed Keenum using the the cap space freed up by Bradford leaving then between the draft,free agency and players coming back from injury,maybe they do enough to get them over the hump. They decided to instead go all in on Cousins so we'll see if it was the right move or not.

I didn’t mean to stir up Brady/Manning stuff :p

One thing for sure is Sam Bradford has gotten paid more for nothing than any NFL player in a very very long time!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2018 10:41AM

@perkdog said:
    One thing for sure is Sam Bradford has gotten paid more for nothing than any NFL player in a very very long time!

Was the 1st overall pick and after 8 years in the NFL has made 114M total for 34 total wins,never winning more than 7 games in a season. I never got the fascination with this guy by some NFL GM's.

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2018 6:44PM

I would have preferred Keenum to have been the QB. He had a great year, had an innate ability to elude the rush and create plays, and he wanted to stay. He just seemed like a “winner” and a really good fit.

Too bad we never saw him and Dalvin Cook together - Cook takes them to a new level.

Not sure about Cousins - has nice stats but he fumbles a lot and there’s a lot of unknowns with him.

If he doesn’t match or exceed Keenum’s 2017 season, he may become hated and the fans will not have patience with him at that salary.

In summary, Keenum earned the respect of the fan base. Cousins has not.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik