Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My good deed for the day!

Upon my return from my honeymoon, I was very happily surprised to get four cards back from PSA for some free "express" submissions I had for a late return by them some months back.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that a 1951 Bowman Preacher Roe card I sent in for grading came back as PSA 8 NM/MT. I picked this card up from a dealer friend of mine (sight unseen), and though I paid a hefty $$$ for it (multiples of what it was worth raw), it came back as a PSA 8, which should serve as a nice upgrade in the collection of David Vargha.

Not sure why I am patting myself on the back over this -- but perhaps I am happy that this PSA Set Registry forum is still a fun place to post and read, while avoiding a lot of the annoying posts on many of the other forums. I'm happy to be back!

MS
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Do you see what marriage does to you? You start using words like "happily", "pleasantly", "nice", "happy" (twice).

You've lost the eye of the tiger!!

Welcome back Schmidty image.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Just give him a chance to go to the Community Message Board once or twice and those words will change back quickly enough...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    MS,

Glad you're back. Hope you had a good honeymoon.

aconte
  • Options
    MS,

Repeating my message from another thread. Glad to have you back. Now take out the garbage and wash the car and the grass needs mowing...
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• Options
    Yes, and put those messy baseball cards away!
  • Options
    "happily", "pleasantly", "nice", "happy" (twice).

Yep, this guy's a newlywed. Just give him a time and he'll end up like the rest of us.

Welcome back Marc
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Thanks for the card Marc. Don't let your wife know how much I paid you for it though. I very much look forward to getting it. Despite the few who have said negative things about him, I have found Marc to be both a classy individual as well as a wealth of information.
  • Options
    schmidty - First, congratulations on your marriage! I didn't know you were getting married. I hope you had a great time on your honeymoon and glad you are back. Second, congratulations on the Roe card. I'm sure Vargha will be very happy with it.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<Despite the few who have said negative things about him>>

Jeez, Vargha -- I like things better that way. If everyone here liked me, I would probably have been better going out into politics! With some of the ways people around here twist stories, fabricate events, and change history, I am surprised that there are not more politicians on this board as it is...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc is indeed a great guy. He is a class act. Numero Uno. The real deal.

He knows excellence when he sees it. image
  • Options
    Thanks again Marc. The card arrived today. I will try to have a scan posted on the Set Registry by this weekend.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Mark,

Glad to see the other board members build each other up for a change. What a classy guy! Hopefully, your good deed will pay dividends down the road.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I have to agree that there isn't a better guy in the hobby than mikeschmidt. We've dozens of transactions; both buying and selling to each other.

Now here's the big question! Now that you are married, how does your wife feel about spending big money on cards?
  • Options
    Dude, he recently started a 1980 Kellogg's set. Does that answer your question image?
  • Options
    Actually I saw him bidding on ebay for several 2001 topps semi stars in ungraded ex condition.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Wayne, please say that you're stalking his eBay activity, and not searching to bid on those cards yourself. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    <<Now here's the big question! Now that you are married, how does your wife feel about spending big money on cards? >>

I'm confused -- I haven't bought any cards in over two years -- thought I sometimes make trades ;-)

Glad you got the card safe and sound, Vargha.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm confused -- I haven't bought any cards in over two years -- thought I sometimes make trades >>

So in other words, your wife reads these Message Boards.....
  • Options
    Wow, my friends said I was "whipped" by my girlfriend because I spend weekends with her sometimes, and not them. Imagine what my friends would think about a wife who won't let his husband purchase baseball cards, you know because you should always judge yourself by what total strangers think of you. image

Ian
  • Options
    Total strangers think I am whipped" by that standard.
  • Options
    Wow . . . Marc's card helped me edge ahead of Fogel.

My Set
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Beautiful set....I enjoyed looking at the scans. Love your
    Mantle!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Do I get the complementary $500 "thanks for feeding my ego and helping me kick Marshall's butt" bonus?"
  • Options
    Okay, here it is:

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I see that Fogel wasn't thrilled by being passed for 3rd on the 51 Bowman Registry. NOW THATS A WAY TO RESPOND! UPGRADE WHO?
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Yes -- I would certainly agree that going for a PSA 9 Mantle rookie qualifies quite well for "jockeying for position"...

MS
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    If I were Dave, I would upgrade my Mantle and Mays to a 10...just to intimidate him.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Brutal competition . . . Perhaps I can get a Mantle SCD 11 - Untouched. Branca got the card he was missing in a PSA 7 on eBay so he should be at 100% on the Registry very soon as well. I'm getting a few key cards in the next couple of weeks, so the competition for #3 dog should be heating up.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Merkel, Fogle and Branca each have at least a dozen of the most popular vintage sets that they spend at least as much time and money upgrading as 51 Bowman. What makes it hard for someone lke David to compete is that these guys are major customers to the biggest vintage card dealers in the country who in turn are more likely to obtain high grade vintage cards and more likely to sell the cards to them than to David(no offense to David) or put the card up for auction where my observation would be he is at a disadvantage there as well.
  • Options
    No offense taken. I am also at a severe financial disadvantage, which is why my collection consists of just one set. To those guys, $80K to $100K on a single card is a "no brainer". I juggle to figure out how I can justify a few thousand at a crack.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    well at least they dont pick on david...lol they pick on everyone!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx