Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Gold Britannia bullion coins

Is it possible or how difficult is it to put a date run set of these bullion coins together?

Are there any keys to this set?

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like these coins but it may be more difficult than many imagine - are you talking about just the one ounce pieces, or all the fractionals as well; proofs also? I think this would be VERY expensive if you are also talking about the golds. I more or less have the bullion "uncirculated" pieces and that has now become more difficult than 5 years ago.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

1 oz bullion pieces only

My brother is looking at working on this.

Not a very popular set it appears. Dealer at a show over the weekend agreed with you that this would be a big challenge.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 6:50PM

Part of the trouble is that the BRM has been very late or even foxy with releasing precious metal coins mintage figures over the last decade. The Royal Mint announces edition limits, but doesn't seem to want to announce actual final numbers. Spink and Token Publishing don't break these bullion coins out very well in their respective books either. Spink has some pictures and Spink numbers paired up incorrectly.

Occasionally I will like a one-year design very much, sometimes not. Or is your brother only planning on doing the 'standard' gold Britannia design?

Of course, you can tie up a lot of money in these modern bullion things by their nature (high intrinsic value).

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill is quite right - extracting "true" numbers is nearly impossible. Even on the proofs or special "specimen" coins there are at least the following numbers, some of which may or not be the same:

• authorized
    • number minted
    • number released (minus returns)
    • number reaching the hands of collectors
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

He is not looking at the proofs i know that.

Bullion coins plus some of the special ones it seems. He got the 18 oriental border coin over the weekend.

Seems crazy they are so bad with mintage numbers. Going to tie up alot of money putting this set together that is for sure.