Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Morgan Dollars first time getting graded PCGS

Hi all,
I have been going through a lot of coins that were left to me. I sent off some morgans that I thought were amazing but came back cleaned. Looking for any insight on what the

Comments

• Options
    JV36JV36 Posts: 59

The pictures

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

jv36,

When you get time, check out the PCGS page with some examples of Genuine coins that have issues that caused them to be put in a Details graded slab https://pcgs.com/statistics/ some coins were dipped in coin cleaner for too long of a period or multiple times which hurt the eye appeal of the coin. It is some times called Dipped out, all or most of the original luster is removed and although the coin may appear bright white,,, it is an off white, kind of bland.

Example: Looking at your last example the XF-45 coin
    Normally one would pickup a coin and begin viewing it at the rim and working inward. On a circulated coin a few rim bumps are normal. Then the lettering around the periphery, I see the verdigris (common grease/grime/dirt found on circulated coins) showing -- yet in the fields it appears so much lighter / brighter. This tells the grader this coin, yet original but it does not display complete and original skin - more than likely a cleaning removed the grime from the fields (the areas not struck up i.e. the portrait,, lettering...). I hope this helps the sting a little and you have completed your first class of the school of hard knocks. Don't take this wrong -- I still take a class every now and then :) Most say inform yourself with relevant books and view as many coins at coin shows to learn the series // coins you want to collect.

Ken

• Options

Ken, any thoughts on what those may be worth?

• Options

A great place to get a feel on what others are buying is searching completed auctions here.

https://greatcollections.com/

Ken

• Options

Ken what happens if I was to send it in to get it restored is it my understanding that's when they would give a grade and the price would increase?

• Options

I do not believe so. Once a coin has been either harshly cleaned or over dipped there is no restoration that could be done. Restoration would be like a coin that may have negative eye appeal like dull or blotchy toning that if removed it is possible to reveal some of the original luster. Not all coins would be a candidate for this so PCGS would review each coin and base an opinion if the coin would benefit from a rinse in acetone or a quick dip in a more stronger solution.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like they have been chemically cleaned - usually dipped in a mild acid. It makes the coins look nice and shiny, but takes off a layer of the coin that can not be replaced. You can check the photo-grade and see what normal circulated and uncirculated Morgan dollars look like.

https://pcgs.com/photograde/#/Morgan/Grades

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 7/8 strong certainly shows signs of cleaning, the other 2 I can't see at all, at least from the pictures you provided. One of the reasons I buy already slabbed morgans.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.