Home Q & A Forum
Options

What is the advantage of using NGC over PCGS? Or, vice versa NGC seems to indicate the highest value

Markdown

Answers

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

For U.S. coins, PCGS is clearly better.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Now I have a question. What is "Markdown?" I see this at the bottom: You can use Markdown in your post.

When I click the link it directs me to Wikipedia and says

"Markdown is a lightweight markup language with plain text formatting syntax. It is designed so that it can be converted to HTML and many other formats using a tool by the same name.[8] Markdown is often used to format readme files, for writing messages in online discussion forums, and to create rich text using a plain text editor. As the initial description of Markdown contained ambiguities and unanswered questions, many implementations and extensions of Markdown appeared over the years to answer these issues."

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Could not send without clicking on 'Markdown'.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Insider2, and I like to compare all 4 of the "top" TPG's.

One thing I am hearing about loudly from Dealers and the marketplace is timing to complete submissions and how long it now takes to receive coins back. For Dealers, that is $'s, as inventory is held up as a result.

May be a sign of the times and just how apparently popular (or necessary?) these services have become to sellers and collectors alike.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quickest way to get coins back at the lowest cost is the second tier services. However, your coins are generally worth more when graded by our host. I could never understand why dealers did not use the little guys as a "prescreen" service for their valuable coins.

Savvy collectors purchase the coin and not the slab and then crack them out to be submitted to the top two as the grading is very similar although there was a time in the 1990's that the major services were low-balling Liberty, Shield, and 3c Nickels. Not anymore. :)

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider2

I am sure in your input you actually meant slamming or slanderous remarks and saying utmost bad and inappropriate things.

There is absolutely no doubt at all that our host is doing the numismatic community worldwide a huge favor by hosting this forum. Thank you PCGS.
    They have a very solid business reason for doing this for us.
    However do you think for even 1 second that they did not expect some or even a lot of criticism when the forum was started? They knew exactly what and why they were doing it.
    IMO, any top company is very happy accepting positive and negative criticisms. I have my own experiences there.
    Very often, proven over and over again, such input has lead to an increasingly better product for the customer, namely the collectors. Our forum and our host’s business / product is no exception.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy what I like no matter what the holder says for the more modern coins. PCGS holds a higher value on most coins but each has its own advantage. Many buy NGC to then cross over. If you like a coin, go for it. you can always get it in the right holder for you later.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Insider2

I am sure in your input you actually meant slamming or slanderous remarks and saying utmost bad and inappropriate things.

There is absolutely no doubt at all that our host is doing the numismatic community worldwide a huge favor by hosting this forum. Thank you PCGS.
    They have a very solid business reason for doing this for us.
    However do you think for even 1 second that they did not expect some or even a lot of criticism when the forum was started? They knew exactly what and why they were doing it.
    IMO, any top company is very happy accepting positive and negative criticisms. I have my own experiences there.
    Very often, proven over and over again, such input has lead to an increasingly better product for the customer, namely the collectors. Our forum and our host’s business / product is no exception.

With regard to me, I'm sure you don't know what you are talking about. :p

I will repeat what you may have missed:

1. There is no simple answer to your question as your best choice will depend on several factors. There are four major grading services. There are pluses and minuses for using each of them - again depending on your needs.

2. Finally, this forum is being supported by PCGS as a benefit for anyone, even those who post nonsense. THANK YOU PCGS! Therefore, Me, myself, and I (not anyone else) don't think it would be right for anyone answering your question by saying anything negative about PCGS or any other service here. Besides, I found out PERSONALLY that even making a joke about one of the other TPGS is not tolerated.

As for improving the services, they don't need our help. Trust me when I tell you that they get lots of input from within and from customers. Additionally, anything that you ASSUME that I am holding back has been posted here over-and-over again. For example, it get's really old reading the ladies (?) complain about turnaround times. >:)

• Options

@YQQ has asked what I disagree with in his comments directed to me:

"Insider2, I AM SURE in your input you actually meant slamming or slanderous remarks and saying utmost bad and inappropriate things."

You are seriously mistaken. :)