Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How do you present a variation of a card for the Registry?

I was looking at some cards from a recent submission and noticed some are white back while some are gray. These are the 75 Topps mail-in checklist cards. Curious how to go about bringing this variation to PSA. Is it as simple as just sending them in and noting it, or is there a specific form/process to complete?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Answers

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just fill out the electronic form to add new item to registry set composition. There's nothing to it. They add countless new items all the time.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA already knows. I added the Minnesota Twins team card to my Harmon Killebrew Master Set. Are they graded as such, or graded as regular 1975 Topps?
    If they are graded as regular '75 Topps, you will need to send them in to be reholdered, then simply "report a cert that matches the checklist"

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    If they are graded as regular '75 Topps, you will need to send them in to be reholdered, then simply "report a cert that matches the checklist"

If they're already a recognized variation that's not noted on the flip, you can contact customer service and they'll issue a FedEx label to ship them back at PSA's expense. Mention 'Mech Errors' and the reholder should be free.

edited March 8, 2018 8:01AM

@miwlvrn said:
    Just fill out the electronic form to add new item to registry set composition. There's nothing to it. They add countless new items all the time.

My mistake, I read too quickly and accidentally thought the OP question was how to add a variant (labeled on the flip as such) to the set composition.

Kyle is right; if the variation is recognized, just send it/them back with request for mech error correction.

If you are trying to get a variation initially recognized, you will likely have to go through the route of having it first get published in SCD and/or Beckett before PSA will do it. There are threads in the archives here that you should be able to find where I have detailed this process after having done so myself.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

The variation of the 'mail-in' vs 'normal' checklist is recognized. I haven't seen them recognize the mail-in version as having a white back vs a gray back similar to other sets (81 opc baseball come to mind).

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

@ldferg said:
    The variation of the 'mail-in' vs 'normal' checklist is recognized. I haven't seen them recognize the mail-in version as having a white back vs a gray back similar to other sets (81 opc baseball come to mind).

Thanks for the feedback.

Worth mentioning that with variations, there is no consistency. There is simply no sensible reason why 1981 OPC baseball would be correctly recognized for white back vs gray back, yet the same is not done for 1973 OPC hockey.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same for 79T FB & 71-72F Globetrotters (cream vs grey on both), neither is recognized. Officially, they won't recognize unless there's a significant price difference, but it's a chicken/egg scenario. A price difference isn't observable in many cases if it's not recognized by the guides or TPGs. There's obvious scarcity differences in the two I noted that should command different pricing structures if more people were aware.