Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Long Beach Miracle

As most of you know, I do a "Meet the Expert" session every day at each Long Beach show. People show me their coins and ask questions. Most of the questions are like: "Will this coin cross", "Which of these coins will upgrade", "Why isn't this Franklin half FBL", etc. I also get a lot of raw coins shown to me with either "Which coins should I have graded?" or "What are these worth?"

Something very special happened at the recent Long Beach show. An older gentleman in a wheel chair (and a veteran's hat) came up to show me three coins. With him were his wife and his son (probably mid-30's, with a fireman's t-shirt). The first two coins he showed me were well worn common silver dollars to which I said, "just worth their silver value."

I then looked at a 1969 Lincoln cent he had in a paper 2 x 2 pouch. I told him he should get that one graded. He said that was ok and we gave the coin to customer service to write up. Customer service asked me how much to insure the coin for and I said "$100,000". Of course the people's jaws dropped. We sent the coin up to the grading room and I also went up to tell everyone the story and make sure the coin was handled with due care.

The coin was indeed a genuine 1969-S double die and it graded MS63RD. The people consigned the coin to an auction and I expect them to net $75,000 give or take...a life changing event for this family! I'm shown about ten 1969-S pennies at every Long Beach show and of course they are never the rare double die. But this time it was. I'm still smiling.

David Hall

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file