Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry Awards - HOF

In reading the Awards section on the PSA site I see that:

"To recognize those All-Time Finest sets we will be inducting 5 all-time great sets into the PSA Set Registry Sportscard Collecting Hall of Fame this year."

Which sets on the registry do you think that the original 5 will be? Do you think that ere will be other contenders to hit the registry before October 31?
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    Why an I envisioning that all 5 sets to be entered in the "HOF" will be David Hall's? LOL
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Are those five sets going into the Registry HOF different than the ones receiving the engraved awards or are they going to basically be the same?
  • Options
    With my apologies to Paul Revere, "The winners are coming! The winners are coming!"

Many nice sets have yet to be registered. I believe now would be a good time to upgrade if any of us really want to compete.

As for David Hall's sets, if anyone has looked at their own cards slabbed in the old PSA holders (vs. Collectors Universe holders), it's obvious that it's much, much tougher to get 8's & 9's now compared to 2 or more years ago. I've bought 8's in the old holder recently, that would be hard pressed to get 7 if submitted now.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Here are my votes for the HOF (couldnt keep it to 5)..in no particular order:

Stonegate's 1887 Allen & Ginter
    Charles Merkel's 1915 Cracker Jack
    Charles Merkel's 1951 Bowman
    Charles Merkel's 1952 Topps
    Marshall Fogel's 1952 Topps
    Anthony Fioto's 1953 Topps

If they are considering sets that are not 100% complete than I would include:

T-206 King's 1909-11 T-206 White Border
    Brian Siegal's "Honus and Friends" 1909-11 T-206 White Border HOF Players

John

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Gemmint,

Looks like there will be 14 engraved awards. And after I figured that - I realized that the way it reads - the 5 sets being voted into the registry Hall of Fame could be Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey and Misc.

So, if there are some really dynamite sets other than Baseball - they'll be part of the mix too!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB, thanks!

I just received an e-mail from BJ to clear it up even further.

A HALL OF FAME REGISTRY AWARD COULD GO TO A RETIRED SET OR A PLAQUE WINNER.

So now we know why All-Time Finest sets that are retired are still relevant - they may be voted into the Registry HOF.

• Options

Anyone else have any choices/opinions on who the "charter" HOF sets should be?

John
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I greatly applaud Halleygator for his amazing PSA set of every Hall of Fame Baseball player, and think that that is definitely worthy of the Registry.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Nice to see you back MS
  • Options
    John,

I decided to pick 5 as though this were the Frank Bakka Hall of Fame. I added some additional criteria in order to spread the wealth a little. 1) only 1 set per person can get in per year. 2) I only know baseball so thats were I stayed. 3) Sets must be 100% complete 4) Choose sets without all weight being placed on their monetary value. So, this would be my 5. (gemmint - I figure that Mazeroski made it in - so should you)

Stonegate's 1887 Allen & Ginter
    Charles Merkel's 1952 Topps
    Marshal Fogel's 1954 Topps
    JTM's 1959 Topps
    gemmintman's 1970 Kellogg's
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB - LMAO. I'm not sure I would want to be in the Registry HOF if my set had a Mazeroski smell to it image. Sure people would be quick to buy me a beer but would snicker behind my back.

Frankly I'm thinking there should be some FAB FIVE representation in the Hall.
  • Options
    Frank-

Using your criteria (which is a nice idea)....I would include Fogel's 54 Topps and JTM's 59 Topps. Fioto's 1953 Topps set with a Weighted GPA of 8.46 is quite impressive!

John
  • Options
    I echo the above sentiments of the greatest third baseman in Phillies history!! image
  • Options
    Perhaps my 1965 Fleer Gomer Pyle set will be in contention for a plaque image
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Best Sets on Registry:

!)Charlie Merkle-1952 Topps
    2)Marshall Fogel-1954 Topps
    3)Charlie Merkle-1915 Cracker Jack
    4)Don Lucious-1941 Play Ball
    5)Andy Kaplan-1953 Bowman Color

Honorable mention and best semi-modern set:

jtm's 1959 set
  • Options
    Davalillo,

I was playing around with the sets from most of the baseball categories in a spreadsheet for a while this afternoon. I was starting to think that if they inducted 5 Collections instead of 5 sets that your collection wouldn't be far behind the Merkels, the Fogels and the Halls.

I had no idea how deep your collection went. Unbelievable job!!!

Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Some other sets that may be a little off the beaten path, but are still noteworthy:

1986 Fleer Basketball - Bryant PSA 10 Collection - Only set that I've noticed that is 100% with straight PSA 10.

1930 W.D & H.O. Wills Famous Golfers - Vintagegolfcards - Owner claims to have the finest example known of every card in the set.

1935 National Chicle - Don Louchios - Set rating of 8.35 at 100%. This rating is 1.18 greater than anyone else.

These are by no means big sets, or probably HOF worthy, but sets I can't say I wouldn't mind having.

Just a thought.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    FB,

Thanks. Unlike many collectors, I have had an interest in collecting sets in all sports and I am attempting to over time collect all baseball postwar sets 1948-72 in psa 8 or better, all football sets 1948-1972 in psa 8 or better, all basketball sets 1948 to 1977-78 in psa 8 or better, and for prewar baseball am concentrting on trying to complete 34 goudey, 34-36 diamond stars, 38 goudey, and 39-41 play ball sets in psa 8 or better. Right now t206, m116 sporting life and 33 goudey on back burner. May send in all my nrmt-mt hockey sets in for grading some day too.

This may take some time but I am patient.

Davalillo
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Great to see you post Davalillo. I am just in awe of the volume of your collection.image Wondering if you've got a favorite two or three of the group? I guess from your last post, set building was intentional? That is, you started off with the idea of building the entire set as opposed to the Hall of Famers or your favorite team or player, and then said, " Heck, why I don't I just get 'em all?" That's pretty much how I ended up listing 7 (actually I think 8 or 9 now) sets. I'm only actively pursuing 2 at a time. Is that how you are working it? Gotta believe the variety keeps you "shopping" fulltime? Anyways, KEEP IT GOING!!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    I have always been a set builder.

Actually I shop for cards very little. I work about 60 hours a week and have a wife and 2 kids at home and do not have time to look at ebay or the Teletrade auctions or even dealer web sights. This is one reason why I post my sets--hopefully others will see what I need and make offers. The dealers I do the most business with(Steve Novella, Kris Keppler, Chris Porter) check the registry directly. I wish more offers would come. I will also buy sets or partial sets in 8 or better even if I have a good start on a set and have Steve sell the dupes for me. So please if there are sellers out there contact me--I will pay a fair price.
  • Options
    getupkidgetupkid Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I vote for Frank's 72T baseball set as the set of the year! I know how much work Frank has put into it, also to have a GPA as high as he's achieved is just incredible. Remember this isn't a 500 card set but 787!! Frank is a class act and a great guy.

Erik
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    Too many to choose from. I am so confused. I want all these sets for myself. image

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Let's face it

These awards are strictly for the big bucks players, the guys who can drop 100K on cards and not blink. The time, effort, and sacrifices that the little guys have made will not be taken into consideration. Were this the case, I think Vargha's 51 set would take the day. The guy sold several of his key sets to concentrate on his 51's, heck, I understand he continually goes to the blood bank under various aliases to sell a pint or two. You can always spot him at a show...he's the one that looks like a ghost with a floppy arm.
  • Options
    ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    zardoz51, great post!
  • Options
    It's sad, but Zardoz is quite correct. The only awards that the members of this board have a shot at are the best modern set (defined by PSA as 1975 and beyond) and best rookie set (best new set entered in 2002).

Frankly I don't like the best rookie set (best new set) idea for 2002. All it means is if you don't think you have a shot at the other awards you should wait and instead register one huge bomb of a set before the deadline so you have a chance for that award. That's like bringing in a 27 year old "rookie" from Japan who goes on to win MLB Rookie of the Year honors.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Zardoz -- the beauty of having contracted several different diseases is that the blood researchers are always willing to pay more so they can acquire the antibodies.

All kidding aside however, he makes an excellent point in that the Merkels, Brancas and Candiottis of the world will always have more resources to build the phenomenal sets. Nonetheless, the awards are for the best set (results) and not who worked the hardest to build their set (efforts). That's the way life should be. Thanks for your kind acknowledgements of my set building saga though.
  • Options
    I feel I have a more positive outlook toward the Set Registry Awards than most. I do understand how many feel that the "super collectors" (maybe this label will catch on like Vargha-bucks) have an unfair advantage, but I think we ultimately will be pleasantly surprised. I think this year's Set Registry Awards is comparable to the HOF induction in '36. Of course the big guys are going to make it, and deservedly so. Who here wouldn't love to own their collections. But this is only the first year, with many more to come. In time, I think the collectors deserving to be recognized, will be recognized. This is all based on my assumption that HOF induction will consist of a collector's collection (all encompassing), rather than an individual set. If you make it once, you shouldn't be able to make it again. Also, I feel the SMR does an excellent job of featuring collectors who may not be "super collectors" but love collecting just as much. Later on, I feel we will see the same principles reflected in the Set Registry Awards. Just think, 10 or 15 years from now, someone will be able to post a topic that debates which of the HOF collections shouldn't have made it.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards