Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 AL East Division predictions...Red Sox or Yankees?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally considered the toughest Division in baseball, it appears the Yankees and Red Sox are neck and neck to win the 2018 Division. The addition of JD Martinez may well blunt the Aaron Judge opponent of the perennial tough Yankee's team. The mystery remains as to how well Boone manages the team.

The Red Sox have Devers at 3rd base, who has turned into a gem, following the DISASTER of the fat guy in San Francisco. The Killer Bs in the outfield, Benintendi, Bradley Jr and Betts are very solid. Does JD Martinez DH and leave Betts in right? HanRam plays 1st base...and if the starting 5 can get it going, with Kimbrel closing, should be a formidable team.

I'll go with the Red Sox over the Yankees, but not by much.

Yankees guys jump in.

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I too feel the Red Sox will pull ahead for there 3rd in a row. I don't think the Yankees have a strong enough pitching staff to do it. Injuries will take their toll.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

One game playoff to decide.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote Meteor.

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Devers defense is very suspect......his arm is above average in strength but inaccurate ~.902 fielding % is troubling. HE can always DH or move to 1b which may well happen with him b/c his errors. If Severino comes alive and dominates I like the Yanks by a 2-4 game margin. Great thread!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Devers CAN'T go to 1st, they gotta do something with HanRam, and he can't go to DH because of JD Martinez. Devers is light years ahead of what he replaced, I think with last year under his belt he's gonna shine.

I haven't heard much about Pedroia, but sounds like the knee thing is still an issue...Brock Holt to 2nd? Who knows. It's the pitching staff I'm most concerned about. The starting 5 look great on paper, but can they stay healthy down the stretch? Price, Porcello??

Tanaka on the other side, better be on his A game. I think the Red Sox have a stronger starting 5...who knows, time will tell.

I'm a member of the local Elk's club here...one guy always wears this Yankee jacket. So, we get to talking and things go back and forth, me with my Red Sox cap on...we have a $100 bet that the Red Sox finish the season ahead of the Yankees, or vice versa. Then this guy tells me he's from somewhere around Hartford and he's a big Red Sox fan. Now, really? No respectable Red Sox fan would get caught in an underground cave in China with a Yankee jacket on. The $100 bet stands...along with another dreamer, who's a Giant's fan. So, I got 2 benjis on the season...so far. :)

Baltimore??? Are they a baseball team? They finished 18 games back, with a 75-87 record last year. But, I'll give you props for trying to drop your team into a Red Sox / Yankees thread...afraid to tell you, your team will likely be fighting it out for last place with the Jays.

GO RED SOX

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Yankees will win the Division but I disagree with the general agreement.