Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions and maybe me venting a little

First off, I know that we are not talking about much money (2.50) so I should just refund it and let it go, but to me it is really the principal of the matter. I had an auction for some 1962 Topps commons and listed the average grade of the lot as vg. There were some really decent cards in there. Winning bidder messages me today stating that he got the cards and there were 7 checklists that were all heavily marked so he is requesting a $2.50 refund. So, for the opinion part... if you buy a lot where the "average" grade is vg and some have marks, would you request a refund? I sure wouldn't. Second, as the seller, would you request said cards back? Funny thing is, I put every card in a penny sleeve and although I charged $7 shipping, I paid the extra and sent priority 2 day mail. I like my buyers to get their stuff in a timely manner. Anyhow, just looking to see what you all think or would do. Thanks for letting me vent!
Oh, his the link to the auction so you can see exactly how it was described.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-264-1962-TOPPS-BASEBALL-CARDS-143-DIFFERENT-STARTER-SET-VG-/152913635761

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    so I should just refund it and let it go

Correct!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents ...

From the title, I would read it as VG or better and I don't see the word 'average' anywhere in the listing. That said, if I had bought the lot I wouldn't be requesting a refund or even dinging DSRs when leaving feedback.

Unless graded, I avoid specific grade mentions in my listings opting for 'low-mid'/'mid'/'mid-high' grade instead.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Tell him you had to pay more than $7 to ship them, so instead of asking him to pay the difference in shiping and you pay him back the refund, just call it even!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

You gotta get it off your chest so blast away here but life's better when you just do it and move on. Are you gonna remember this in 4 months? No. Then why wait 4 months?

Arthur

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    First off, I know that we are not talking about much money (2.50) so I should just refund it and let it go, but to me it is really the principal of the matter. I had an auction for some 1962 Topps commons and listed the average grade of the lot as vg. There were some really decent cards in there. Winning bidder messages me today stating that he got the cards and there were 7 checklists that were all heavily marked so he is requesting a $2.50 refund. So, for the opinion part... if you buy a lot where the "average" grade is vg and some have marks, would you request a refund? I sure wouldn't. Second, as the seller, would you request said cards back? Funny thing is, I put every card in a penny sleeve and although I charged $7 shipping, I paid the extra and sent priority 2 day mail. I like my buyers to get their stuff in a timely manner. Anyhow, just looking to see what you all think or would do. Thanks for letting me vent!
    Oh, his the link to the auction so you can see exactly how it was described.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-264-1962-TOPPS-BASEBALL-CARDS-143-DIFFERENT-STARTER-SET-VG-/152913635761

Why not learn a lesson from this? You should have stated that the checklists were marked.

The buyer got a good deal at that price, even if those seven cards weren't included, and he shouldn't have complained...but frankly he had a right to. So refund the $2.50 and be done with it.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Conservatively grading the lot at VG. No picture or mention of checklists, but just because they're checklists doesn't mean it's okay for them to have writing on them. Should have pictured them or had a lot of 136 with 7 free marked checklists thrown in.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to get some different viewpoints and for sure will not make the same mistake again. It was never about the money and i'm for sure not going to lose any sleep over it!

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

When selling lower end lots I always say "cards may include creases, wrinkles, miscuts, marks, tears, paper loss, severe centering issues, and/or other flaws that result in a low grade." Refund and move on.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with stevek
    Big diff between low grade and marked CL

refund the man and move on.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I have to agree with the buyer and doing the math, $2.50 is fair.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pix of marked checklists or others so marked would of been best. Then no issues/misunderstanding. Kind of like "what you see is what you get". Still was a good buy for the buyer.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I do not think there was any harm meant on your end. The buyer got more than a decent deal on the cards even if the description was not all that detailed. However, the description needs to be more detailed as others have mentioned. If the description had stated that 7 free marked cards would be thrown in, I doubt he would have complained.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

It's petty for the buyer but just be happy that you can send $2.50 and be done with it.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Vent away. I'd need to do the same. I mean who cares about $2.50. I'm a child of depression era parents so I was taught to squeeze every nickel as if it was the last. But in 2018 what does $2.50 buy? Sheesh.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2018 10:15AM

what does $2.50 buy?

If I just go around the block, somehow I wind up spending 15 or 20 bucks. Not including the gas.

Hiya Tim

I hear ya. Venting is good.

I'ld rather see people verbally vent than go on a rampage.

Mike
  • Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Hire a Hitman and seek vengeance!

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, I refunded the $2.50 the same day. I apologized for the marked cards and asked if he was happy with the quality of the rest of the cards. His only response was "Thanks!". My only real issue was that the value of the lot was way more than what he paid for the condition of the rest of the cards and I thought it was a little petty to ask for $2.50 back. Either way, I have moved on to a more happy place!