Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

unsure but think its greek

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2018 11:02AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

was given a coin over the weekend by a good friend ive known most of my life.. he thinks its greek, but he cant remember. he's had the coin for at least 16 yrs maybe more. perhaps someone could help.. and in its condition would it be worth getting graded

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greek world, yes: probably from the Seleucid Empire, 261-225 B.C. This dynasty descended from one of Alexander the Great's Generals who eventually divided up Alexander's eastern conquests.

The questions are: is is it real, and is that anchor thingie at 6 o'clock on the reverse a Mint Mark?

The main device on the reverse is a 'tripod altar'.

Somebody much wiser than myself will have to add details.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 1:11PM

am not to sure.. i know nothing about the coin unfortunately . it looks authentic, but hard to tell nowadays.. am hoping it is real.. all i know is he used to display it on his desk at home.. ill do some checking on the coin too. but seems some of the coins had anchors somewhere on them.. some at bottom some in the middle

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Greek Antiochos ( Antiochus) II Theos 261 BC Selenkid Greek. I'm fairly certain There are several denominations with slight differences for that era but the tripod alter and anchor is connected to each. Great looking coin for 2280 year old coin.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

I like it too.. specially since it was a gift.. i've received a few things from him.. have a roman oil lamp, a roman ring, and a few other items,

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

As to grading, I don't know if our host grades ancients but it depends on what you want to do with the coin. If you want to preserve it for your future generations then by all means, see if you can send it in for encapsulation. If it were me, the wealth is in the gift and who its from. Put together a presentation flier filled out with origin and date, encapsulate in a frame and put it on my desk. A constant reminder of a true friendship and your kids/grandkids can decide what they want to do with it .
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

edited February 27, 2018 4:38PM

I wont sell it since its a gift.. i just wish to preserve it so I can display with in my cabinet with the other items and if wish to hold it i wont get fingerprints on it.. I can load in pics of some of my other items if wish to see some of whats on display