Home Sports Talk
Options

More interesting than the upcoming March Madness...

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2018 9:34AM in Sports Talk

Is the chatter about how to begin paying the athletes directly and not under the table.

My humble suggestion would be that rather than requiring the salaries, just no longer restrict them. The market will find it's balance.

Of course Title IX will destroy any reasonable ideas.

This will be fun!

:)

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im all for paying them something but once you start, you know its going to get out of hand just like the pros. Maybe a better idea is just allowing them to profit off their likeness and make money doing things like autographs, video game and tv appearances, public speaking, etc. Allow them to use their platform to make money rather than paying them a "salary".

One argument I keep hearing from players and former players is that between school and football, they have no time for part time jobs to make money like a normal student does outside of class. My proposal here is fine, then pay them what the typical student makes at a part time job while in college. I made $8.50 an hour working at the dining halls, about 25 hours a week while in school. That's $850 a month before taxes, while paying for school at the same time. Ok, pay the players $1k a month as their "pay" that they are missing out on. That should be more than enough to live on, especially considering a lot of them are on scholarship already and not paying for school. Majority of normal students are capable of living on less than $1k a month while paying for school, football players should be able to figure it out to.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

The thousand a month sounds fine for the rank and file student athlete. Difficulty will be the star player that gets you to the final four or the football playoffs. In a real market environment they are worth a million bucks a season or more.

Sean got a bargain at $100k

;)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver lining is that I now know who DeAndre Ayton is. Caught a UA game the other night and the kid is an absolute beast. Before too long, he's going to be spending 100k on a night out.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    The silver lining is that I now know who DeAndre Ayton is. Caught a UA game the other night and the kid is an absolute beast. Before too long, he's going to be spending 100k on a night out.

Kid is from the Bahamas. Early in the season Arizona played a three game series there and went 0-3. Dropped from #3 in the nation to off the rankings.

Seemed suspicious at the time...more so now.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just landed in Vegas to watch the Big Tourney with friends and family. My favorite time of year. Oh and Ayton looks to be worth every penny. What a beast

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Just landed in Vegas to watch the Big Tourney with friends and family. My favorite time of year. Oh and Ayton looks to be worth every penny. What a beast

m

This is a earlier than in the past, ya!? Speaking of the Big, nice gesture by the Iowa kid who missed the free throw intentionally.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are already getting paid, a free 4 year Scholarship worth about 150 thousand, free room and board, free food. what more do you need?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    they are already getting paid, a free 4 year Scholarship worth about 150 thousand, free room and board, free food. what more do you need?

The ladies. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@coinpalice said:

While the coach earns a staggering $5,000,000. He never blows out a knee or gets an elbow to the kisser.

College athletics will never be the same, and that is a good thing.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this starts....you know what will happen....................... ;)