Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question on my Lemieux rookie

minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I've had this Lemieux rookie since I was in my late teens. It's centered pretty well and looks great, except for one thing...the bubble on the right border. I've never subbed it due to it. How much does PSA ding for those? I've always loved this card. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

usually psa will let a bubble go by. I have several nice 8s w a bubble

Love super Mario !!! nice card

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

The best Hockey player I've ever seen play...he's the guy Id start my team with over anyone in NHL history.

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Bubbles don't effect the grade as much as you'd think. That's a pretty big one, but I'd still sub it. I had a beautiful Ray Guy rookie that had a bubble that worried me. It was smaller than that, but it got a 9.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautifully centered Lemieux. I have had those types of bubbles knock the grade to a 6 and I've also had grades unaffected by the bubble. No matter, that is a nice card.

-Nathanael

• Options

Thanks for the input so far. I have decided to sub it, so was just wondering what to expect.

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 8:00AM

@Odessafile said:
    The best Hockey player I've ever seen play...he's the guy Id start my team with over anyone in NHL history.

He's be my 3rd pick, and put him on the 2nd line with Mike Bossy as his wing man

I'd take Gretzky & Kurri (leading playoff goal scorer for all 4 Gretzky Stanley cup wins) ... I want to say that during their shift, the other 3 guys just rested on the bench and watched them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6WOzWO9v2A

• Options
    edited February 27, 2018 8:34AM

I can see your points...passionate....Lemieux worked often with 4 guys watching.... :) . Points per game All Time its Gretzky, MArio and Bossy anyway.... sick, sick production...I better leave this area or Im going to end up buying OPC RC's of all em and leave my bank account 80k in debt....

• Options
    edited February 27, 2018 8:40AM

One thing I think the NHL should do is enlarge the rinks and let em play .... guys are too big and fast to be playing on current rink size IMO.... More ice and more SKILLS are available .... much better game to watch. Olympic rinks need to return.

• Options

@Odessafile said:
    I can see your points...passionate....Lemieux worked often with 4 guys watching.... :) . Points per game All Time its Gretzky, MArio and Bossy anyway.... sick, sick production...I better leave this area or Im going to end up buying OPC RC's of all em and leave my bank account 80k in debt....

no kidding
    I've been working on an 80's OPC Rookie Collection
    it adds up FAST and BIG

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple PSA 10's with that, and a BGS 9.5 Chris Chelios with one.

• Options

you have a huge pile of HOF'ers from the 80's
    about 30+
    not including 70's Gretzky, Bossy & Trottier ( I could include a few more from the 70's)

my opinion, these players span the best era of hockey
    not to mention the young players from 1990 & 1991 that entered the scene to compliment already a strong league

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 10:19AM

but back to the Lemieux
    it's a monster card
    in a BGS 9.5, it's gone up about 3 times from about 8 years ago or so
    sorry, I'm not good with PSA prices ... just assuming the same & a lot more

wish I had one
    still trying

• Options
    BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭

That is a very nice looking Lemieux RC. The centering on that one is as good as you will find. The majority of Lemieux RC's have bad centering and are often tilted. I cant get that good a look at the corners and the bubble with that pic, but definitely worth subbing. Good Luck.

I love 80's OPC hockey, I have a OPC Lemieux RC in PSA 9 and it is the prize of my collection. I thought Lemieux had the most talent of any hockey player. If it had not been for his back injury and cancer treatments that plagued him for many of his prime years, his numbers could have been right up there with Gretz.

• Options

To put an end cap on this thread, apparently PSA DOES NOT ding you for a surface bubble.

Here's Mario back from PSA.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the sub. Sharp Card.

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS said:
    Congrats on the sub. Sharp Card.

As a result, I won't need to purchase a 9 like I had wanted. But I am still in need of a raw Lemieux for my set as we had talked about a while back to replace this one. Let me know if you are still interested in selling.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah sorry about falling out of communication. Life got in the way. One Mario and the Pelle still have your name on it. I’m hoping to rip the second box this weekend so next week we can figure something out.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Sounds great, thanks.

• Options

@1970s That is beautiful. Trade straight up? :smile:

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Sure. I'll throw in a 1988 Topps Rob Brown PSA 5 to make the deal work out for you.

You know, it's sad, but I have no idea what sport that would be (not basketball).

• Options

@1970s how is your OPC not a 10? Slightest tilt? That's a beaut.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:

I agree with you 100%. Mario put up 1.88 points per game playing much of his career in an era where defense wasn't completely foreign. Gretzky put up 1.92 almost entirely based on the freewheeling 80s. Plus, I think Mario's size is a huge benefit to him.

As for your other suggestions, I definitely would like to see the rink increased in size. I'd also like to see the net enlarged. Ideal would be a foot taller and two feet wider. Goalies are simply too able to cover everything nowadays.