Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Couple New Leetle Friends - “Scarface” Franklins

thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2018 8:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been looking for these varieties for months without any luck. Then this week I scored 3 of the 1952's (all raw) and 2 of the 1950's including both a die 1 and a die 2 (die 1 pictured in a PCGS holder). When it rains... Here they are: if anyone wants to try a GTG on the 1950 I can post the numbers in a few days. The 1952 is unfortunately an AU58 with some high point rub but I have one still OTW that may grade MS.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the coins with a "scarface" designation, have a raised die break. All I see on your coins are some bag marks and perhaps a line from part of the planchet that was not struck out. I like your bottom coin as it looks more like a scarface (cut into the coin) than the raised kind. Perhaps the difference is your coin has a fresh cut face versus one with a raised (healed old cut) mark. :wink:

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Most of the coins with a "scarface" designation, have a raised die break. All I see on your coins are some bag marks and perhaps a line from part of the planchet that was not struck out. I like your bottom coin as it looks more like a scarface (cut into the coin) than the raised kind. Perhaps the difference is your coin has a fresh cut face versus one with a raised (healed old cut) mark. :wink:

The 1950 Scarface has a die 1 and die 2 - the die 1 has a small blob of metal in the middle of the break that runs left of the mouth and no secondary die crack running from eye to chin. The die 2 has the first crack plus the secondary one. I know my photos don’t pick them up well but you can see the crack if you look just to the left of Ben’s mouth.

The 52 is easier to see but it didn’t come out well on my photo. One of the markers is the reverse clash mark through the D of dollar. If I had better equipment I’d focus more on the cracks themselves but my macro lens ain’t that hot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file