Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another inexpensive key date: Mexico 8 Reales 1803-TH in PCGS XF40

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2018 8:00AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Couldn't pass this up at under $300. It's a key date (scarce assayer combination) and a different die to the one I had certified last year. Plus I believe you can't have too many key dates. This die is characterized by the reverse die break between 8 and R, while the one i already have is characterized by the die damage on the obverse bust that looks like beading and a reverse die crack between S and P in HISPAN. PCGS has 4 of these certified (40,2x45,50) and NGC has 5 with a couple of MS examples I haven't come across yet.

By the way, if you want to see how out of touch Krause can be from the market - check out the price for this assayer in XF.

First is the NEWP, second is the XF45 I already owned.

Here's also a third die pair for this year / assayer. This one resides in Blackhawk's set.

And another reverse die with a die scratch near the bottom of the left pillar and on top of the crown. The obverse die looks like it could be a match for Blackhawk's coin. This one sold at Heritage for $305 in Sep 2016

I'll post some of my historic sales images when I get a chance over the next few days.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki,

Nice, but you should publish or cite publications. This is good info that ought to be collated and recorded for posterity.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    @TwoKopeiki,

Nice, but you should publish or cite publications. This is good info that ought to be collated and recorded for posterity.

EVP

EVP - I work primarily from Calbeto's "Compendio de las Piezas de Ocho". He started the work of documenting a large number of die varieties for 8 Reales across all Mints and I'm just trying to build up on that. Since we do have access to way more information than he did, finding new varieties and die combinations is both possible and challenging (and fun). However, based on the feedback I've received in the past, not a lot of people are actually interested in die marriages / varieties for this series.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@EVillageProwler said:
    @TwoKopeiki,

EVP

EVP - I work primarily from Calbeto's "Compendio de las Piezas de Ocho". He started the work of documenting a large number of die varieties for 8 Reales across all Mints and I'm just trying to build up on that. Since we do have access to way more information than he did, finding new varieties and die combinations is both possible and challenging (and fun). However, based on the feedback I've received in the past, not a lot of people are actually interested in die marriages / varieties for this series.

Could be a self-fulfilling situation. If no current info, then no extra interest from collectors. But if updated research, then maybe increased interest?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com