Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 1972 Sunoco NFL book

This thing brings me back to my childhood in about 0.8 seconds.
I was about 8 years old at the time.
These books and stamps were the center of the universe for a rural farm kid.
Incredible how a simple object like this can transport me back in time.

Disclaimer:
This is not the same book that I had back then although that book is likely around here somewhere.

My mother somehow acquired this one for me several years ago and it's in the exact used condition that my book would be like after flipping through it dozens of times a day.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Being a big Dallas Cowboys fan, I really like this book. I was born in 1972, so never collected these when they were being given out at Sunoco / DX stations, however, I am one graded stamp away (Duane Thomas) from completing the Dallas Cowboys base team set (24) and have 1 of the 4 update stamps graded as well (Calvin Hill). It's a lot of fun to page through the write up of Super Bowl VI and see the great pictures.

I really think this is an underappreciated set. There are so many players "pre" rookies / rookies in this set. For example, from the Dallas Cowboys just because I know that team set the best:

1. Roger Staubach HOF rookie (rookie in the 1972 Topps set)
    2. Rayfield Wright HOF rookie (rookie in the 1972 Topps set)
    3. Blaine Nye pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1973 Topps set)
    4. Cliff Harris pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1975 Topps set)
    5. Jethro Pugh pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1973 Topps set)
    6. John Niland rookie (rookie in 1972 Topps set)
    7. Larry Cole pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1974 Topps set)
    8. Ron Widby pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1973 Topps set)
    9. Pat Toomay pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1974 Topps set) - from update set
    10. Toni Fritsch pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1974 Topps set) - from update set
    11. Marv Bateman pre-rookie (mainstream rookie in 1974 Topps set) - from update set

While is an incredible haul of players that had not seen print on cardboard yet or were in their first year on cardboard. I loved a few things specifically about this set that led me to collect a Dallas Cowboys graded team set:

1. The starting line up on offense, defense was present in the stamp lineup for each team along with the kickers. Sure, I'd rather see a Mike Ditka card in the Dallas team set than Billy Truax, but when you look at the 1972 Topps set and see no Chuck Howley (reigning Super Bowl MVP), no Mel Renfro, no Lee Roy Jordan, etc. you really scratch your head and appreciate the Sunoco set.
    2. NO AIRBRUSHING! While the player images are small compared to a regular sized trading card the star is on the helmet which is awesome for this era of Topps airbrushed logos.
    3. Action shots for many players.

Overall this is a great set and a lot of fun to look at. I'm sure the above is common for many of the teams in the set as this Sunoco set had a much more expansive checklist than the typical sets of the day leading up to it at 624 cards.

Thanks for posting, I really enjoy this set.

Steve

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story Steve. Your pretty young too. I used to collect the Iron City Beer cans of the Steelers. It was very common place to walk into a Towel heads (Terrible towel) and see the cans lined up across the top of cabinets. I think when I got a little older, maybe 10 we tried to drink them.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Nice! I loved those too as a 10 year old. Don't remember putting them in an album, stuck them to the sliding wood closet doors in my room. Picked up a virgin deluxe album with the 6 ? Full sheets a while ago as well as the Vikings team sheet with the updates. Have a trading pouch too. Thanks for the memories, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw Great input, Thanks. I'm an old Cowbows fan too and having that star on the front cover was a big bonus.

@jmoran19 I had completely forgotten about the trading wallet! I'm quite sure I used to have one.

btw, this book is about 95% filled.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

I have two of the albums in my pinball room. One is completed, with all stamps, and the other has no stamps, but lots of packs in original form.

I was 7 years old when these came out, and my dad would always get us some after gasing up. I still remember that the Randy Vataha stamp of the New England Patriots was the hardest for us to get.

A year or two later my dad would pick these up at the gas station.