Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Review opinion - worth it?

prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 25, 2018 5:58AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello,

I have a 1963 Bob Lilly PSA 8.5 item that I'm very happy with, but was considering if it might bump to a PSA 9 and if it was worth the risk of travel through the mail, etc. to review. I have no desire to consider cracking this item out of it's case. For this item, the current population is zero PSA 10's, nine PSA 9's and seven PSA 8.5's. The difference between an 8.5 and a 9 from a price perspective is likely considerable (say 2x). This is a Hall of Fame rookie card from a very condition sensitive set, so I'd expect an upgrade on review to be tough...

Here are the front and back scans from my Canon Canonscan 9000 F Mark II:

In looking over the card closely, and trying to be as objective as possible, I see the following slight edge wear on the left and right of the front:

And potentially a touch on the lower right hand corner:

However, having looked at the scans of other PSA 9 items on VCP, this one has much better centering than most of those items. It has very nice color and surface (as best I can tell in the case), so I believe it has 9 qualities. I'm unsure if the above deficiencies (or others I've missed...) are enough to keep it out of a PSA 9 holder.

What do you think? Would you submit this for review? Thanks for your time and thoughts, I appreciate it!

Steve

Comments

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

I don't think it gets 9, but still a great card.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like your analysis was adept and accurate which isn't always easy when ya own a card like this and a lot of money could be involved...which can cloud one's judgment.

I don't think there's any possibility at all for a 9 based on the scans.

A factor which is often overlooked by some in submitting cards is the "edge wear" you noted. This could have occurred from a rubber band holding a stack together, in which if the card gets indented from the rubber band, normally takes a card like this down to a 6, sort of like a ding does.

Of course it's a very nice card, but I think an 8.5 is the max it can possibly get.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

That lower right corner, the two print dots in the sky to the far right of his face. I think the 8.5 is a good grade for this card...PSA was right on with this one IMO...... IF you are worried about sending it via mail....u can look for a PSA show to physically travel to if there is one nearby..... a bump is always worth a shot IMO...... its fun and its why we collect. HAve some fun!

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I think I'll leave this one in the safe deposit box and be happy with it as it is. It's a great card and I'm very happy to have it!

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    That lower right corner, the two print dots in the sky to the far right of his face. I think the 8.5 is a good grade for this card...PSA was right on with this one IMO...... IF you are worried about sending it via mail....u can look for a PSA show to physically travel to if there is one nearby..... a bump is always worth a shot IMO...... its fun and its why we collect. HAve some fun!

The two print dots appear to be on all of these cards.

I agree with othere. With the edge and corner wear, I doubt that it would bump.
    James

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet looking card that I would happily have in my collection but I agree with others that I just don't see it bumping to a 9.