Home Q & A Forum
Options

Die Polish Lines

Do die polish lines affect the grade of a coin? How about the value of the coin once a grade is determined? In other words, will 2 close to identical coins (bag marks, toning, strike, luster etc.), one with marks and one without get the same grade and hold the same value? Thanks.
Jim

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

In other words, will 2 close to identical coins (bag marks, toning, strike, luster etc.), one with marks and one without get the same grade and hold the same value?

Yes. As you know, die polish on a coin is not the same as marks, strike, luster, and eye appeal (toning?) that are used to determine the MS grade of a coin once the determination is made that the coin is actually Mint State.

Die polish can be very distracting as in some cases it can look like someone took an eraser to the field of a coin. Most of the time it is ignored when grading.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Insider2. Here is something interesting - I was just reading the Feb. 2018 issue of the "The Numismatist" and saw where there is a seminar scheduled at the upcoming ANA Convention. The title - "Coin Carnage: Understanding Problem Coins: Hairlines, Die Polish, etc." - page 73. In the details they state these coins should bNow I am really wondering

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

**PLEASE go to the "US Coins" section to view, follow, and post to this thread. ** I would delete it here if I knew how.
    Jim