Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman Caesars & Arab Ancient Coins Help Needed. Winner who identifies the most wins the last one

SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2018 7:46PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Winner who identifies all first or atleast most wins the last coin ( a counterfeit ancient coin ) as a Thank you for your help.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

Comments

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

18th coin down is 1/4 real mexico Sinaloa 1847 1866. actually 1/4 de real 1866. obverse faces should be small head inside wreath with inscription "ESTADO LIBRE SOBERANO SINALOA." It would help if you numbered or labeled your photos.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

Hey if pic 16 is obverse of 18 that is a Chihuahua mexico 1/4 real 1866. legend is E CHIH LIBERTAD. Sorry the Islamic coin between pics threw me off.
    Bob SR CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

Pic 5 & 6 is Morocco Falus AH 1276 Rev says 1299 translates to 1882. falus =20MM, 2 falus=22MM, 3 falus= 28mm.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

I presume pics 7,8,11,12 are the same coin. Egypt 2,5,10,20 Piastres 1923 to 1933. Ok so its late and I'm going to try to ID others and hold additional posts until I have several ID ed.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    edited February 22, 2018 7:47PM

they have all been corrected @bobsr, and everything is now in the correct order numbered. sorry for the confusion.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options

coin 11 looks to be Roman Empire 69-79 AD 81-96 AD Domitian Caesar Rome AR Denarius. Slant of head is a little out of align and the hair braid is not quite right so could possibly be fake but don't take that to the bank.
    Coin 6 appears to be same reverse as coin 4. Still Egypt 1923-1933 yea on 5th and 6th look, the verdigris is same on both reverses.
    Wow interesting range of coins so far. That #1 coin is going to turn out to be Ancient Rome, I'm pretty sure and I've got to say that is a work of art for a 2000 year old coin. I may be wrong but that crown design was prevalent during that period. Very nice coin regardless of its origin.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2018 12:57AM

I'll take the ancients:

1 Roman Empire, Emperor Aurelian, Billon Antoninianus, c. 274-275 AD, Serdica (?) mint. Sear 11572 or variant.
    7 (Having trouble with the inscriptions/Best guess) Roman Provincial, Emperor Gallienus, Billon Tetradrachm, 258-259 AD (?), Alexandria mint. Sear 10546 (?)
    8 Roman Empire, Constantius II as Caesar, Billon Centenionalis, 336 AD, Siscia mint. Sear 17710
    10 Roman Provincial, Emperor Severus Alexander, Billon Tetradrachm, Regnal year 5 (225-226 AD), Alexandria mint. Unlisted in Sear.
    11 Roman Empire, Emperor Theodosius I, Bronze Centenionalis, 393-395 AD, Cyzicus mint. Sear 20544
    15 Tourist Fake, imitating the types of a silver tetradrachm from Ainos, Thrace c. 405-357 BC.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2018 6:32AM

@TitusFlavius winner. Thank you for your help! Please dm me your address for a little thank you. @bobsr thank you for your kind help!

fyi. is this a fake? I was told the bubble in the reverse made it questionable. @TitusFlavius

• Options

I'd say the bubble is from delamination from poor composition of medal and would make it seem more real. The problem is uneven wear reverse vs obverse of the coin. The upper left of the head appears distorted or worn not consistent with the rest of the fields which are sharp around the lettering and the facial features in the front are clean with wear around the nose and jawline which is again inconsistent . I'd say this coin exhibits some very questionable characteristics. The reverse is blurred I don't know if bad photo or uneven wear. Depending on the price I'd say don't take a chance without confirmation from a more informed source and TitusFlavis sure puts forth an expert knowledgable source on ancients.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

The Vespasian denarius certainly looks strange. There are known fakes of the type, but I can't find a real match in Forvm Ancient Coins' fake reports. The weird blobs, and mushy details are certainly suspicious, and the overall style (especially the lettering) looks off. The lack of low relief detail, especially in the portrait, are also characteristic of casting. Here's a genuine example on Wildwinds for comparison: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s2295.html#RIC_0849

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

many thanks @TitusFlavius @bobsr i recently acquired all of these and some from an estate sale. Ya in comparison it does look off.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2018 9:58PM

I'm late to the party, but here are my transcriptions of the lettering, links, etc., in case it is helpful

1. IMP AVRELIANVS AVG
      ORIENS AVG
      X (Rome?)

2. "T.99" India? silver

3. "star of David" 1295
      [Morocco Falus - bobsr]

4. "Turkish fez" 1929 [Eastern Arabic Numerals]
      [Egypt - bobsr]
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Arabic_numerals
      10 Qirsh - Fuad, 1929 (equals 10 Piastres), silver .833
      https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces25075.html

5. silver similar to 2

6. reverse of 4

7. small greek? angel on rev

8. FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C
      GLOR IA EXERC ITVS
      (mint hard to read)

9. E. CHIH. LIBERTAD
      4 DE REAL 1865?

10. A KAI M AVP CEOVHP ALEXANDPOC EY CEB
      LAEA PTOY
      (using Titus Flavius's start)
      Alexandria Milne 2973?
      http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/severus_alexander/i.html

11. DN THEODO SIVS PF AVG
      GLORIA ROMANORVM
      SMMgamma ?

12. agate square with gold writing

13. agate disk with gold writing

14. bronze India? similar to 2, 5

15. fake greek ANION

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2018 4:40AM
  • Options

@yosclimber many thanks!

@MrBreeze do you happen to know coins number 12/13/14 or what they say in arabic? or if anyone this would help figuring out what it is.

FYI coin number 2 just found out is a India-British BOMBAY PRESIDENCY 1/5 Rupee KM# 276
    1214//(17)99

Thanks

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2018 8:49AM

I do not know the jewelry pieces. I can identify the Iranian coin because I own an example. Can you get a size and weight on coin #14 and turn the second picture to the left 1/4?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

14)

• Options

@MrBreeze i unfortunately do not have any thing to measure or weight, but its about the size of US quarter and about twice the thickness of a quarter. Hope it helps

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

The Vespasian is definitely fake.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.