Home Sports Talk
Options

breaking baseball news!!!!!

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This just in , another year with no pitch clock. Last year Red sox games "averaged" 3 hours and 20 minutes , a record if thats how you would describe it. However , MLB commisioner meathead has decided to limit mound visits to 62 per game unless your catcher plays for the red sox (Vasquez) in which case its 15 per inning, subject to 36 different special conditions

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from when the Red Sox were last in the World Series I legitimately cannot remember the last time I watched a MLB game in its entirety

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

I haven't ever cared how long a ballgame was. I don't mind instant replay either..get it right though.

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited February 20, 2018 3:04PM

@perkdog said:
    Aside from when the Red Sox were last in the World Series I legitimately cannot remember the last time I watched a MLB game in its entirety

got to be late 80's for me
    can anyone beat that ?

I think I hold the record for the least amount of sports watching
    vs. card collecting

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

for me it was September of 2017.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full games? If I wasn't attending, probably the 2001 season. On TV, it's almost unbearable, but I do love catching a lot of spring training action live.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got free tickets to a Twins game last year. Took 3 hours to play 6 innings in a 3-2 game.

Pitchers need to throw the ball, batters need to get in there and hit, entire infield does NOT need to come to mound for discussions.

BORING!!!! And yes, I consider myself a baseball fan. Grew up in the mid to late 1960's when the games moved along. Saw a replay of an older game on youtube, was nice not to be bombarded with garbage all over the screen.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 1:33PM

The longer the games the more advertising

Sucks

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the 4 major sports.....Football is the only one I enjoy watching. I watch the WS but Baseball during the season is boring. I watch some NBA playoff's and most of the Final's. And no Hockey at all......I would rather watch paint dry.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

While I will always love baseball history and collecting baseball cards (and sports history/cards in general), and I also love baseball/sports documentaries and such...as far as actually sitting down and watching an actual game, it just doesn't interest me unless one of my alma maters (University of Kentucky or Daviess County High) is involved (after all I was student manager for our HS baseball team my jr/sr years...in 1998 we came just three outs short of the state "Final Four"). And you bet I never miss a chance to see my HS basketball team in a regional final for a shot at the "Sweet Sixteen" in Rupp Arena (sadly we lost our last regional final a year or two ago)! I don't even bother with the Super Bowl unless my wife's Patriots are in it (but she's always been Red Sox first; Yaz and Nomar are her favorite players).

But yeah for me, if I don't have a dog, or should I say cat in the fight (my HS's mascot is Panthers, which is a kind of cat) then it's really no fun. :( Just like in the upcoming March Madness all I really care about is how far my beloved alma mater can go. So if it's a rare year like 2009 or 2013 when we don't make the NCAA's at all, well...I guess then there's nothing for me to watch :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch every Orioles game that I don’t have to work during. Yeah they are long but I enjoy it. If you like baseball, I don’t really see why you wouldn’t watch a 3 hour game, but you would watch a 2 and a half hour game. Really makes no difference to me how long it is.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well played three hour game would be fine. There are too many sloppy four hour + games.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Well in my sport (UK basketball) that only takes 40 minutes of game time...and that's been true since we started with only a basketball bought with each player chipping in a quarter in 1903. I think that's pretty reasonable.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

pitch clock , batters box clock , limit mound visits , limit pitching changes , do something or I'm going to start demanding a change to a 6 inning game.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    pitch clock , batters box clock , limit mound visits , limit pitching changes , do something or I'm going to start demanding a change to a 6 inning game.

Give the umpires encouragement to start calling strikes on the hitter for stepping out of the batters box too much and call a ball if pitcher takes too long.

Mound visits should be limited as well. The entire infield does not have to congregate.

I don't care how long the game ends up taking, just want the pace to speed up.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking about time of games. Last week while waiting for CBS coverage of golf to begin, the college basketball game which had 9:35 to go took 45 mins. to finish. 5 to 1 ratio. Not even OT related. Ridiculous. Cut into golf coverage by 15 mins.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Talking about time of games. Last week while waiting for CBS coverage of golf to begin, the college basketball game which had 9:35 to go took 45 mins. to finish. 5 to 1 ratio. Not even OT related. Ridiculous. Cut into golf coverage by 15 mins.

The last few minutes of a Basketball game can take forever due to Time Outs and intentional fouls that stop the clock. But that is the nature of the game.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Hey, I never though about that! Just schedule golf for after the games!

• Options

Sept. 28, 1919, game between the New York Giants and the Philadelphia Phillies in the Polo Grounds. Behind pitcher Jesse Barnes, the Giants won 6-1. ..in a mere 51 minutes. Of course with even radio still what, a decade or two away that's not so hard.

WISHLIST
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

much like orioles93, it doesn't bother me to sit through a game on TV, especially if the announcers can moderate the pace and discuss things of interest. would I rather watch a two hour game than a three hour game?? yes, I would. fortunately I sometimes have that choice since games are replayed the next day with far less commercials.

to that end, don't the modern DVR's have a function that eliminates commercials?? some of you guys either don't take advantage of that or just don't like to watch baseball.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times I watch the start of a game then flip to a classic movie. After the movie I go back to the game which is in inning five or six. If it is a competitive game I may stick with it, if not, another movie or sporting event.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wondered why MLB app on my Roku does the commercial breaks - but its just a three minute screen saver of the logo?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

My wife & son are sports fanatics. I usually can't stand to watch it much. My wife will flip back & forth from other shows ("during commercials", she says) all night long to follow the score of a basketball game. One that may have changed from 34-31 the last time she watched to 41-39 now....... I can't stand it. I ask her if she can recount even the next day any single play or 2- or 3-point shot from that span that will be remembered forever. An average game includes maybe 200 points.... does she REALLY have to watch someone make points #47 thru 53?! Multiply that by the number of games in a season, and I am beside myself. I still claim that all one has to do is catch the last minute of any game for any excitement (and even THAT usually takes 10 minutes, with all the fouls, time-outs, etc!). nd I can't get worked up over a sport where people can't even make foul shots, and it's something to inspired about when a 7' tall person jumps a few inches & slams a ball thru the hoop. I go more for finesse.....

Baseball's WAY too slow to get excited about, except maybe for the playoffs & World Series, and even then I usually only watch on my own if a team I like is playing. And I have better ways of getting a sunburn than actually sitting in the stands in an uncomfortable seat with no padding or legroom to watch a game in person. I think speeding it up might help. Along the same vein as issuing an automatic walk vs throwing 4 balls, I'd like to see the catcher be allowed to smack a batter over the head with his mask in lieu of a pitcher intentionally hitting him with a pitch. Fights could be scheduled during the 7th inning stretch.

Football's better, but after watching my home team (Eagles) play any given weekend, I am hard-pressed to stay awake thru any other game..... My son, on the other hand, likes "NFL RedZone". For those of you familiar with it, it's a TV version of seting your car radio to "scan". A 10-second blurb here & they're off to another game, etc, etc, etc. I like to watch a show or a game in its entirety, so this also drives me nuts!

Hockey's pretty cool, although I am somewhat partial, since my son played goalie through middle & high school, as well as on a club team in college. Then again, I liked the cold of the arenas, and yelling for the players to kill their opponents when not rooting my son on to make saves. ;-) I'd like to see a more wide-open game, however, with either 1 less per side or wider, Olympic-style ice. I can't stand all the time spent along the boards tieing-up the puck.
    And could somebody teach players to actually shoot the puck ON NET instead of high & wide most of the time?!

That's my 2 cents' worth...............