Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If it's a fake coin does pcgs know immedietly

Just wondering how long it takes them to let you know if a coin turns out to be fake. I sent a valuable coin and today is 19 business days. It seems real but I'm wondering if it isn't real would they know right away? I sent on economy grading service

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it'll take regular grading turn-around time. Those who unpackage the coins are likely not numismatic experts, so until it's turn is up in the queue, it will wait it's turn just like every other submission. Unfortunately you've got a few more days to wait.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    I believe it'll take regular grading turn-around time. Those who unpackage the coins are likely not numismatic experts, so until it's turn is up in the queue, it will wait it's turn just like every other submission. Unfortunately you've got a few more days to wait.

I agree you are going to have to wait for a grader to look at the coin.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, they might know pretty quickly once they look at it, but when it arrives there, it sits in line for weeks with the other submission backlog before getting its day in the sun.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long does it take? Good question. Bought a circ 1935-d in a PCGS holder that said it was cleaned. It didn't look cleaned so I cracked it out and sent it back for grading. It came back as Counterfeit. So I guess that all of their graders don't know Counterfeits. :'( Cost me $125 for the coin and then additional for grading fees.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gotgoodsman said:
    Just wondering how long it takes them to let you know if a coin turns out to be fake. I sent a valuable coin and today is 19 business days. It seems real but I'm wondering if it isn't real would they know right away? I sent on economy grading service

next time post some pics. plenty of counterfeit detection talent around here.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will find out after they get to yours and when the grade is posted

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you send them a fake hoping it got by them and wondering if you're in the clear now that it's been 19 days?

Hope not but reads that way to me (maybe I'm just overly cynical). Like others said fake or real you won't know til the graders get it.

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    How long does it take? Good question. Bought a circ 1935-d in a PCGS holder that said it was cleaned. It didn't look cleaned so I cracked it out and sent it back for grading. It came back as Counterfeit. So I guess that all of their graders don't know Counterfeits. :'( Cost me $125 for the coin and then additional for grading fees.

How long did that take them to let you know? I sent one before and had an answer in 3 days

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2018 3:24PM

No, hence the "Authenticity Unverifiable" grade.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@PhilLynott said:
    Did you send them a fake hoping it got by them and wondering if you're in the clear now that it's been 19 days?

Hope not but reads that way to me (maybe I'm just overly cynical). Like others said fake or real you won't know til the graders get it.

I can't tell I took it to a coin dealer and he couldn't verify if it was real it's such a valuable coin and rare and I'm just excited and sent it to find our for sire

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

What is this coin you sent in?

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the coin?

• Options

1943 copper not magnetic and weighs 3.11

• Options

@Jcld said:
    What is this coin you sent in?

1943 copper coin dealer said it's a genuine coin but couldn't tell me for sure

• Options

He said everything checks out but he doubts it's real because of how rare it is

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off metals take longer as they require certain graders to work them.
    Right Fred?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy to counterfeit -

The proper weight of 3.1 grams
    isn't the authentication point -
    copper type 2 planchets are very
    easy to find; they've been used
    for decades to make fake '43's.

Any story as to where you got it?

Did you take any photos of it before you
    submitted it?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2018 12:19PM

Well if it’s authentic, you’ll know when they call you to upgrade your service level and cost for grading. I believe that would go under the “walk through” service level.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gotgoodsman said:

Could be a 1948 Lincoln that has been to the "coin doctor" to make it appear younger.

You'll soon find out one way or the other. Good luck!

PS: Don't go shopping for a Ferrari yet. ;)

• Options

Thank you i will wait for the call just was wondering why if it were fake it would take so long

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:

not content to jump to conclusions like an ordinary poster , you have literally strapped rockets to your legs and are entering orbit.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2018 12:28PM

$300 limit on economy grading.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, great story. Now if you want me to believe it let's all see this 1935-D S$1 that was slabbed as a cleaned genuine coin and then called counterfeit when sent in again "raw." :/

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Historically speaking, if there is ANY suspicion that the coin is 'not genuine' it will be returned to you as "Questionable authenticity" or "Refund, no decision"

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1901 O in a 3rd grade holder, if I wanted a 2nd opion on it I would not crack it out first. That was not a good move. What is the cert# I would love to take a look at that coin. B)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

Could be a 1948 Lincoln that has been to the "coin doctor" to make it appear younger.

I think you mean older ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    I think this thread has the record for random disagrees

are including billdugan disagrees? technically those go in a different category

• Options

@stevek said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

Lol the 3 isn't off so if anything it had to be restruck

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    I think this thread has the record for random disagrees

Not even close.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/970727/disagree/p1

• Options

@mvs7 said:

@stevek said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

I think you mean older ;)

You're right - I was thinking along the lines of a plastic surgeon and what they do, trying to make a 48 year old look 43 or younger. LOL

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

If it is real, big congrats to you!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@Gotgoodsman said:

@stevek said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

Well at least you put some research into it, unlike most who get excited over finding a copper plated 1943 cent and think they've hit the lottery.

• Options

I have pictures on my other phone iPhone battery charger broke so I can't access the pics. I will try to get them for people maybe they can tell. But the coin dealer couldn't tell and he held it in his hands

• Options

@stevek said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

@stevek said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

Well at least you put some research into it, unlike most who get excited over finding a copper plated 1943 cent and think they've hit the lottery

Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up but the time I've waited is making me hope. I sent a coin to them before and it only took 3 days for them to notify me it was shipped back because it was fake

• Options

Here is a link to pictures
    1943 copper penny non magnetic. Is it fake? https://imgur.com/gallery/HzPTf

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    It's easy to counterfeit -

The proper weight of 3.1 grams
    isn't the authentication point -
    copper type 2 planchets are very
    easy to find; they've been used
    for decades to make fake '43's.

Any story as to where you got it?

Did you take any photos of it before you
    submitted it?

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Gotgoodsman said:

next time post some pics. plenty of counterfeit detection talent around here.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

THAT coin in the link just above is a fake/counterfeit.

The fact that your coin, or this one, is non-magnetic,
    and weighs 3.1 grams means very very very little.

(yes, it's two authentication points, but means nothing
    as far as it being authentic with those two points only)

We can probably tell immediately if you have a good
    photo of it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    THAT coin in the link just above is a fake/counterfeit.

The fact that your coin, or this one, is non-magnetic,
    and weighs 3.1 grams means very very very little.

(yes, it's two authentication points, but means nothing
    as far as it being authentic with those two points only)

We can probably tell immediately if you have a good
    photo of it.

That is my coin. How can you tell it's fake

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Yeah, great story. Now if you want me to believe it let's all see this 1935-D S$1 that was slabbed as a cleaned genuine coin and then called counterfeit when sent in again "raw." :/

Insider, great comment, how can you tell it was a silver dollar?
    pocketpiececommems, the slab could also have been a counterfeit and PCGS never saw coin nor slab before.
    Gotgoodsman, the last economy I did was around a month and a half

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Looks like it's already been thru a few test runs.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2018 2:44PM

Steel for comparison.
    Lance.

• Options

How did you acquire it? Found in change? Bought somewhere? Just curious. Maybe you'd rather not say.
    Lance.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@Insider2 said:

Insider, great comment, how can you tell it was a silver dollar?
    pocketpiececommems, the slab could also have been a counterfeit and PCGS never saw coin nor slab before.
    Gotgoodsman, the last economy I did was around a month and a half

I know it is a silver dollar because I'm a Second Order Green Smoke mystical psychic with a modern telephone connection. :p

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    I can tell it's a counterfeit
    from just looking a the photos of it.

It doesn't have the right striking
    characteristics, the right surfaces,
    and the double rim is another sign.

Sorry......

I've seen real 43's w a double rim because copper is softer than steal. Thanks for the opinion

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

Where did you acquire this coin?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file