Home Sports Talk

Most Undervalued MLB HOF'ers

OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2018 7:29PM in Sports Talk

Who ya got? I got Yogi Berra and Stan the Man ..... and sweet Lou Brock....no respect.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a poster named stan the man , he got bammed a few years ago .

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arky Vaughan, Kid NIchols and Pete Alexander.

Ask pretty much anyone who the greatest shortstops of all time are and there's a great chance that they will name dozens of shortstops before they get around to Vaughan, and a fair chance that they will run out of names without ever mentioning him at all. But he's somewhere between the 2nd and 5th best shortstop who ever played. Among position players, I don't think anyone is close to being as undervalued.

Repeat that exercise with pitchers, and you'll get similar results for Nichols and Alexander, and they each have a legitimate claim to being among the 10 greatest pitchers of all time; Alexander was probably among the top 5 until the rash of great pitchers who came up in the late 80's/early 90's.

And a shout out to the catchers who toiled in conditions that would have brought modern catchers to tears. We look back at catchers like Ray Schalk and Roger Bresnahan and laugh at how such mediocre players got in the HOF. The truth is that they got in the HOF because they were great; but they were great at a position that simply doesn't exist anymore. The name of the position hasn't changed, but to group Bresnahan and Schalk with Berra and Bench and call them all "catchers" is to miss just how much more difficult it was to play catcher in their time.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

What might be interesting and how it may affect baseball card values in general is all the NFL shenanigans that went on this past season.

No sense regurgitating all the negatives with the kneeling, lower attendance, lower TV ratings, etc. Suffice to say that in a strange way it might increase the interest in MLB and hence increase the value of baseball cards in general. While in the near future, decrease the interest and value of football cards.

MLB was once the professional sports national pastime. but the NFL in reality became the professional sports national pastime decades ago, although some may think that MLB is still the national pastime.

Most people love sports, and maybe some that were turned off by the MLB steroid controversy, enough time has now gone by whereby they will come back to be a baseball fan again. Perhaps in a few years if the XFL comes about, it might revitalize the waning interest in pro football, and football cards will then increase in value?

It's always a good time to be a card collector, but as far as undervalued cards and collecting value in general, and considering the good economic outlook, in my opinion it's a really great time to buy baseball cards for investment purposes.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank Robinson. Compare Killebrew's rookie card value to Clemente and Koufax.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai U nailed Robinson .. always over shadowed but he was awesome .. mvp both leagues .. I’ll add Steve Carlton and even Jim Palmer to the underappreciated list

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Frank Robinson, Stan Musial, Willie Stargell, Joe Morgan, Eddie Murray

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

@stevek said:
    What might be interesting and how it may affect baseball card values in general is all the NFL shenanigans that went on this past season.

No sense regurgitating all the negatives with the kneeling, lower attendance, lower TV ratings, etc. Suffice to say that in a strange way it might increase the interest in MLB and hence increase the value of baseball cards in general. While in the near future, decrease the interest and value of football cards.

MLB was once the professional sports national pastime. but the NFL in reality became the professional sports national pastime decades ago, although some may think that MLB is still the national pastime.

Most people love sports, and maybe some that were turned off by the MLB steroid controversy, enough time has now gone by whereby they will come back to be a baseball fan again. Perhaps in a few years if the XFL comes about, it might revitalize the waning interest in pro football, and football cards will then increase in value?

It's always a good time to be a card collector, but as far as undervalued cards and collecting value in general, and considering the good economic outlook, in my opinion it's a really great time to buy baseball cards for investment purposes.

No one under the age of 30 watches baseball , except maybe if they play it. Its dying as we older fans die . Last one out the door hit the lights

Believe it or not, i think Roberto Clemente cards are undervalued, as high as they already are.

With the growing Hispanic population in the US, and I see this in the industry that I work in, Hispanics aren't just blue collar laborers any longer. A growing number of them are becoming doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, business owners, etc, IE professions with lots of money.

Along with the significant Hispanic presence in the game of MLB, in which baseball has always been popular in many Hispanic countries anyway, and considering Clemente's baseball career and background, I think Clemente baseball cards growth value will surpass that of all other vintage baseball cards. Roberto Clemente high grade PSA baseball cards, I think are the best "blue chip" long term investment in baseball cards today.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

No one under the age of 30 watches baseball , except maybe if they play it. Its dying as we older fans die . Last one out the door hit the lights

Local Prime-Time Numbers For The 29 U.S. Teams Show MLB Rules Summer TV

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/08/24/local-prime-time-numbers-for-each-of-the-29-u-s-teams-shows-mlb-rules-summer-tv/#3ecd0297204d

I realize you said "under the age of 30" but that can change as these people get older. As these people age over 30, they settle down with the wife and kids, and perhaps then start watching baseball much more than they did when under 30 years old.

They could even watch more baseball than the previous generation as they get sick and tired of fast action video games, Hollywood movies, etc, and would prefer to sit down and relax with a cold beer & tasty sandwich, and enjoy a good baseball game on TV.

We shall see....

edited February 17, 2018 8:59AM

What channels are people watching baseball games besides ESPN? 20-30 yrs ago, I watched a lot more games because stations like WGN and TBS carried games 3-4 times a week. Now, I rarely watch because my team is seldom on TV. I miss WGN and TBS games.

@garnettstyle said:
    What channels are people watching baseball games besides ESPN? 20-30 yrs ago, I watched a lot more games because stations like WGN and TBS carried games 3-4 times a week. Now, I rarely watch because my team is seldom on TV. I miss WGN and TBS games.

Plus who does ESPN show? Big market teams playing each other? Small market teams see themselves on some local channels . The playoffs , at least some of them , were on MLB network. I cut the cord so I missed those games. Way to keep a fanbase MLB .

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Local Prime-Time Numbers For The 29 U.S. Teams Show MLB Rules Summer TV

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/08/24/local-prime-time-numbers-for-each-of-the-29-u-s-teams-shows-mlb-rules-summer-tv/#3ecd0297204d

I realize you said "under the age of 30" but that can change as these people get older. As these people age over 30, they settle down with the wife and kids, and perhaps then start watching baseball much more than they did when under 30 years old.

They could even watch more baseball than the previous generation as they get sick and tired of fast action video games, Hollywood movies, etc, and would prefer to sit down and relax with a cold beer & tasty sandwich, and enjoy a good baseball game on TV.

We shall see....

Hollywood and Network TV are garbage but baseball is even worse. Shave at least 30 minutes off the average game or its over

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The handful of players that belong in the HOF that never were selected.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ralph Kiner

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Believe it or not, i think Roberto Clemente cards are undervalued, as high as they already are.

With the growing Hispanic population in the US, and I see this in the industry that I work in, Hispanics aren't just blue collar laborers any longer. A growing number of them are becoming doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, business owners, etc, IE professions with lots of money.

Along with the significant Hispanic presence in the game of MLB, in which baseball has always been popular in many Hispanic countries anyway, and considering Clemente's baseball career and background, I think Clemente baseball cards growth value will surpass that of all other vintage baseball cards. Roberto Clemente high grade PSA baseball cards, I think are the best "blue chip" long term investment in baseball cards today.

I see your point about Clemente's cards possibly having a great potential of going up, but he's still "overvalued".

The real question is will Clemente's rabid collector base continue to maintain or rise? I am looking at it from a baseball greatness perspective.

Roberto won a bunch of batting titles and had a tremendous arm, both nice assets, but Killebrew was at one time in 5th place on the all time home run list, a much more impressive accomplishment in my mind, yet Clemente's card prices blow Harmon's away.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ron Santo

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

I see your point about Clemente's cards possibly having a great potential of going up, but he's still "overvalued".

The real question is will Clemente's rabid collector base continue to maintain or rise? I am looking at it from a baseball greatness perspective.

Roberto won a bunch of batting titles and had a tremendous arm, both nice assets, but Killebrew was at one time in 5th place on the all time home run list, a much more impressive accomplishment in my mind, yet Clemente's card prices blow Harmon's away.

Of course you make solid points. And under normal circumstances the points would be correct. However I think the interest in Clemente cards and memorabilia transcends normal collecting interest to Hispanic people and others.

There are many examples of this in the world of collecting. Take for example some fountain pen that was salvaged from the Titanic. That pen might sell for a million dollars. The exact same brand pen in an antique shop might sell for ten bucks. The mystique or whatever it's called makes that Titanic pen so much more valuable.

The "mystique" about Clemente with him dying in that plane crash on a humanitarian mission, being the first Hispanic player inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame, and overall just a wonderful human being on and off the field, makes people collect his items with a passion...and you know what that means...higher prices. I think those prices are going to go a lot higher as time goes on.

When baseball dies the cards die too.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

In regard to Clemente. A friend of mine who visits Puerto Rico and has relatives there said this of Clemente: His memory is revered there as a GOD among the young and old. I imagine this feeling transcends throughout the Hispanic world. He is a historical figure.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Clemente's 17 years of MLB experience netted a 162 game 200 hit average at .317 career

@Odessafile said:
    Clemente's 17 years of MLB experience netted a 162 game 200 hit average at .317 career

Only 18 in PSA 9 and only 1 higher. What a beautiful card. If its value doesn't double in 5 years, 10 years max, i'll be very surprised.

@stevek ~I got it in July '13 at auction for $5160.00 .. card is selling for 12-14k now ...not bad for 4.5 years.

@Odessafile said:
    @stevek ~I got it in July '13 at auction for $5160.00 .. card is selling for 12-14k now ...not bad for 4.5 years.

Back when I was a young boy in 1962, i'm sure I had my hands on a few of these 9's back then. That's all we did all summer, play baseball and flip & trade baseball cards. Of course how could anyone suspect back then the value these cards would have today? How about nobody.

It's just lucky a few stamp collectors in which stamp collecting was all the rage back then, decided for whatever reason to place some cards in a glassine type envelope and store them properly, and there you have your PSA 9 Clemente today. Could have also came from some busted packs decades later, but i think the glassine explanation is more prevalent. Funny, the postage stamps the stamp collectors saved that way in the glassine envelopes are hardly worth face value today, it's the kid's silly "worthless" baseball cards they saved that way which are worth a small fortune.

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

Clemente was a once in a lifetime, fun to watch player, and hero.

@garnettstyle said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

Clemente was a once in a lifetime, fun to watch player, and hero.

That's just it. The older baseball fans will pass on the legend of Clemente to their children and grandchildren, hence increasing the demand for his collectible items.

You're right, Clemente was fun to watch...always hustling, always having fun out there, and of course playing on a Hall of Fame level.

He reminds me of the way Pete Rose played the game, or one could say it vice versa.

Unfortunately with Pete Rose, he has no chance of ever sniffing the Hall of Fame. It was a long shot possibility of him getting in because of the gambling. However with the allegations which from what I've read seem to be true about him bopping an underage girl, his chances now of ever getting into the Hall are zero. Americans will tolerate a lot of different types of adult behavior and often forgive, but not the exploitation of underage girls.

Yet Rose's baseball cards are still valuable, for reasons we all know because of his play on the field. How can ya not like what Pete did on the field? The only MLB ball I ever caught was off the bat of Pete Rose at the Phillies stadium when he played for the Reds, a foul ball in the stands off the first base line. I caught it on the fly i'm proud to say - LOL. And believe me, even with what Pete did with that underage girl which was despicable, I have no intentions of throwing that baseball away.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Feller

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@stevek said:

That's just it. The older baseball fans will pass on the legend of Clemente to their children and grandchildren, hence increasing the demand for his collectible items.

You're right, Clemente was fun to watch...always hustling, always having fun out there, and of course playing on a Hall of Fame level.

He reminds me of the way Pete Rose played the game, or one could say it vice versa.

Unfortunately with Pete Rose, he has no chance of ever sniffing the Hall of Fame. It was a long shot possibility of him getting in because of the gambling. However with the allegations which from what I've read seem to be true about him bopping an underage girl, his chances now of ever getting into the Hall are zero. Americans will tolerate a lot of different types of adult behavior and often forgive, but not the exploitation of underage girls.

Yet Rose's baseball cards are still valuable, for reasons we all know because of his play on the field. How can ya not like what Pete did on the field? The only MLB ball I ever caught was off the bat of Pete Rose at the Phillies stadium when he played for the Reds, a foul ball in the stands off the first base line. I caught it on the fly i'm proud to say - LOL. And believe me, even with what Pete did with that underage girl which was despicable, I have no intentions of throwing that baseball away.

nope nothing is getting passed on. No one under 30 is interested in baseball , unless maybe its fantasy baseball , the under 30 dweebs might play fantasy . .

You can't pass anything on to any young ones anyway , they would have to take the earphones out of their ears or set their phone down , and really what are the chances of either of those things? :D

Maybe if Clemente had an instagram page you could link them to it ?? Is he trending ?

I think I've been reading too many glicker posts I'm coming down with something :|

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

nope nothing is getting passed on. No one under 30 is interested in baseball , unless maybe its fantasy baseball , the under 30 dweebs might play fantasy . .

You can't pass anything on to any young ones anyway , they would have to take the earphones out of their ears or set their phone down , and really what are the chances of either of those things? :D

Maybe if Clemente had an instagram page you could link them to it ?? Is he trending ?

I think I've been reading too many glicker posts I'm coming down with something :|

Still to upbeat to be a Glicker post. You have work to do

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

So you're saying one of these days the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown will close and then perhaps be renovated into an all ya can eat Chinese restaurant? Maybe at least they'll name one of the entrees the Babe Ruth spicy chicken - LOL