Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Shipment frustration

I'm waiting for about a month for a shipment from Stacks Bowers to clear customs.

The shipment is modern Russian coins. Each coin is dated on the coin itself, on the slab, and in the seller's invoice. They are all modern coins, all dated later than 2000. FedEx just sent me an e-mail requesting a signed statement that the coins are not over 300 years old, or a permit from the Antiquities Authority.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. FedEx is helpful (my VERY limited experience, plus 'so I've heard'). Super frustrating, but give FedEx what they recommend and it help things along. Stupid, silly, frustrating. But some ding dong needs to check a box without independent thinking...FedEx wants to make the delivery and understands what to do.

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Customs can be frustrating, but I have found Fedex very helpful... I had an instance where an auction house that doesn't usually handle coins identified the coins as 'Gold and Silver Jewelry' which ended up getting the pieces tied up in customs, but Fedex was able to help out the whole time to get them back on their way...

As a side note, it seems that there have more tieups in customs around the world the last few months, I had a couple of packages we shipped to Switzerland and Austria get tied up for much longer than usual

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics