Home Sports Talk
Options

Looking forward to the Winter Olympics.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that flags will receive the greatest respect!

;)

Comments

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a huge Olympic fan. Every two years is not enough.
    They are already on...I am watching skiing prelims right now, with curling still ahead.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2018 10:01PM

Love the downhill skiing and bobsled/luge.

Biathlon is a personal favorite, but hard to find coverage.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

There's not a single event in winter Olympics I won't watch if it's on. Summer there are a couple I don't enjoy. I'm not sure which event is my favorite, but I have the most memories of cross country skiing for some reason. Since the last Olympics I've become a huge hockey fan but I'm not sure how the tournament will be this year. I would have liked if the NHL had gone if for no other reason then I would not feel guilty for skipping one to watch the other.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

Now they've got the skater griping that he got dissed as flag bearer.

I think I'll read a book instead.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Now they've got the skater griping that he got dissed as flag bearer.

I think I'll read a book instead.

what if it was a biathlon guy ? would it be cool?

• Options

Biathlon guys are griping about the cold weather...claiming that this could impact their ability to shoot accurately.

Bunch of snowflakes. It is the winter Olympics. It is supposed to be cold.

Sochi was too warm. SK too cold.

Wimps.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Biathlon guys are griping about the cold weather...claiming that this could impact their ability to shoot accurately.

Bunch of snowflakes. It is the winter Olympics. It is supposed to be cold.

Sochi was too warm. SK too cold.

Wimps.

When I was 20 years old , I got a job doing overhead garage doors. The guy that trained me , his name was Del, said he froze his a$$ off in a trench in Korea . It gets pretty cold there . That was a crude form of biathlon , laying in the snow and shooting but without the skis :#

• Options

Turned on NBC at 6 pm local. All I could take of the ten minute dream to be an Olympian schtick. Spoiled in Detroit as the Canadian system broadcast 52 minutes an hour of actual competition with none of the up close and personal crap.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 7:13PM

Where was the opening ceremony crowd? And coverage of stuff?? Seems we have a censorship of global activity here....but I just did just hear Psy Gangnam Style against the Light Brite empty stadium background.....hey sexy lady!! Ha!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Turned on NBC at 6 pm local. All I could take of the ten minute dream to be an Olympian schtick. Spoiled in Detroit as the Canadian system broadcast 52 minutes an hour of actual competition with none of the up close and personal crap.

In Canada at that time they only had three commercials. Molson and Labatts and there were skiing bears involved. The other was for AJ Gus Gervay......it’s manufacturing that makes the difference

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

If they don't tell us about the guy who's mother's cousin's roommate has cancer how are we going to know when to cheer as he staggers over the line in 43 place?

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

In Canada at that time they only had three commercials. Molson and Labatts and there were skiing bears involved. The other was for AJ Gus Gervay......it’s manufacturing that makes the difference

mark

Forgot about AJ the fur guy. :)

Probably the odd Windsor Raceway ad, but you are right, that was about it.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2018 11:23AM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

mark

I used to sneak into Northville Downs when I was 14. When I got to be a little older we make the trek to Windsor Raceway and brought back the good beer. Border crossings were much easier then. Now it’s a huge hassle. Worse then coming in and out of Mexico

We actually claimed a few harness horses and flipped them back in the day

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

mark

I used to sneak into Northville Downs when I was 14. When I got to be a little older we make the trek to Windsor Raceway and brought back the good beer. Border crossings were much easier then. Now it’s a huge hassle. Worse then coming in and out of Mexico

We actually claimed a few harness horses and flipped them back in the day

m

Last place I lived in Detroit was a mile from Northville Downs.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care much for the Winter games, but love the Summer games.

• Options

Oh my we suck at Winter Sports

mark

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Oh my we suck at Winter Sports

mark

I don't think so. However if we had better training, better coaching, practiced more, we could work our way up to sucks. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't care much for the Winter games, but love the Summer games.

ya run this many meters then jump over a few sawhorses . Thrilling stuff

box for 3 rounds no knockouts. Riveting

Wrestling , throwing frisbees and sticks , jumping and sprawling in the dirt nope cancel the summer games tomorrow please

• Options

Love watching the Marathon.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2018 10:14PM

@Coinstartled said:

It’s like baseball but an hour shorter

I like the spear tossing and running with a giant stick landing onto a mattress events

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

It’s like baseball but an hour shorter

I like the spear tossing and running with a giant stick landing onto a giant pillow events

mark

And less replays.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Vonn fail

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halfpipe was fun to watch

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

could the Canada vs United States in women's hockey be the biggest rivalry this side of the pond ?

• Options

@electrode said:
    could the Canada vs United States in women's hockey be the biggest rivalry this side of the pond ?

Fergie should do the anthems, though it could crack the ice.

• Options

Watching the two women snowmobile racing now

Thank goodness for the X Games events or we would be behind France in the medal count

Oh crap. We are still behind France

mark

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't had a chance to watch it. I'll tune in sometime in March to see what's going on.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2018 10:01PM

@Coinstartled said:
    Love the downhill skiing and bobsled/luge.

Biathlon is a personal favorite, but hard to find coverage.

I watched some biathlon tonight to feel you. As I watched I have to admit I was thinking it would be more interesting if they were shooting at each other instead of targets. Paint ball on skis

M

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

The Vikings may have failed in winning the Super Bowl, but the Captain Curler is from Minny and brought home the gold in curling -- what a story! They went 2 and 4 in the first matches and then swept 5 in-a-row to win the gold. Talk about a Cinderella Story! -- Awesome!

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

a lot of the women on the women's gold medal hockey team were from Minnesota also. you learn to ice skate early in life there

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Vikings will make some noise again next year