Home Q & A Forum
Options

Best course of action for a tube of 1921 Peace dollars labeled "unc" from 1978

I recently found a set of 6 tubes of Peace dollars that are all labeled "UNC" and were purchased in 1978 by my father. 1 roll of coins is from 1921 and the rest are 1922 and 1923 but at least there was a roll of 1921's.

I have submitted coins to PCGS albeit 12 years ago, and could do so but I am not sure if these coins are worth sending - assuming they all look like the end coin I can see - they appear to be uncirculated. My plan was to have a local PCGS dealer look at them with me and decide if some or all of them would be worth the expense of having them graded. I have not touched any of the coins and planned on leaving them in the tube until we can look them over and put them in separate flips or holders.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Would you send them in yourself or let a dealer do it for you?

Thank you in advance, I did not find a similar recent post with this information and apologize if my search was inadequate.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, see PCGS dealer first.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful, don't let the dealer lowball you.

It will more than likely go something like "these really aren't as high grade as you think but I can certainly take them off your hands" (yeah for pennies on the dollar). If you do have the dealer send in for you get good high res pictures first. Beware of the ole switcheroo, i.e. replacing your high grade with their lower.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would offer them to a dealer. You get your net premium and no headache with the grading side. Just a thought.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Send them in yourself. Look for obvious dogs, and send all the others. Have some fun.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

First to send a coin to grading is $22 each. Assume for a second that all coins will grade MS60. Except for your 1921's Your coins uncirculated are worth $20 to $25 each. add $22 to each coin brings the value to $42 to $ 47 each. You can buy certified coins all over the net for $45 to $50 and get a coin you want without worry. It is not going to be cost effective for you to send a bulk of coins to grading. Why do you want certified coins. If for an investment you want your money to increase in value to do that you need to have value to begin with. If you want to preserve your coins for your future generations, $22 is an expensive way to do it as the value of a common coin is not generally going to increase over the cost of grading unless something outside the norm occurs. Don't be in a hurry. Use the grading pictures on this site, go through the coins yourself, Pick out the best looking ones that you think will grade high and document each coin and decision and why. ( trust me you'll forget within 2 weeks why you chose that coin). Pick the best 5 ( 1921 ) coins. Send those to grading. When you get them back, do an analysis and comparison. You then are in charge of your destiny and you're not entrusting it to someone that you don't know and trust. Can you imagine how you would feel if you sent 20 coins to grading only to find that someone had cleaned them and they come back "details" graded. That's $440.00 shot . Going through them with a dealer doesn't benefit you in the future. Yes you can get an informed opinion on the worthiness of specific coins but you will not have the ability to make that call yourself unless you do it yourself. By the way I am a collector and although there are unscrupulous dealers out there, A dealer can't afford to have a reputation of coin shuffling or unfair practices. That being said, if you don't know a good dealer in your area, you may want to try to develop one before you entrust them with thousands of dollars worth of coins.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs