Home Sports Talk
Options

Super Bowl ratings

BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited February 5, 2018 8:55AM in Sports Talk

Curious to see what the ratings for the game will be.
I read many people, bars, etc were not showing the game in protest.
Anybody NOT tune in the game for various reasons of protest ?

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't watch it. Good shoot out too.

Maybe the players will grow up by next season.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://sports.yahoo.com/ratings-eagles-patriots-super-bowl-just-3-still-eight-year-low-153550105.html

Super Bowl ratings down just 3 percent for Patriots-Eagles, but still an eight-year low

Eight year low, for a household name star like Tom Brady, along with two of the best football towns in the country. Also with the game not being decided until the last seconds. The ratings of course should have been much higher.

One would think that the NFL would want to do something to stop a further decline. However I don't see them really doing anything about it at the present time.

They should have cut Kaepernick two seasons ago when he began his kneeling shenanigans, as it clearly violated NFL existing rules. But they were too timid to do it, they allowed it to fester, we all know the story from this season, and so this is the result.

And the ratings could continue to get worse. We shall see how it all plays out.

• Options

@stevek said:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/ratings-eagles-patriots-super-bowl-just-3-still-eight-year-low-153550105.html

Super Bowl ratings down just 3 percent for Patriots-Eagles, but still an eight-year low

thanks for the link

• Options

Beyond the kneeling players lie a number of other problems. A few folks may see the sport as particularly dangerous and not want to support it. Along those lines, the restrictions on defenses as well as touchbacks coming out to the 25 seem odd to the longtime fan.

The touchdowns that were called back for nitpicky reasons has not made the game better and leaving the fan in suspense on every play of significance...until the guy in New York gives his blessing, has sapped the spontaneity for the once great pastime.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2018 12:04PM

double post.

:|

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Beyond the kneeling players lie a number of other problems. A few folks may see the sport as particularly dangerous and not want to support it. Along those lines, the restrictions on defenses as well as touchbacks coming out to the 25 seem odd to the longtime fan.

The touchdowns that were called back for nitpicky reasons has not made the game better and leaving the fan in suspense on every play of significance...until the guy in New York gives his blessing, has sapped the spontaneity for the once great pastime.

Points understood, and I don't disagree with any of it...except...the lower ratings, to that extreme, are a direct result of the kneeling players...and the fan perception which I happen to agree with, that the NFL owners are not doing enough, if anything at all to stop it.

My viewpoint is that I'm not going to allow anyone to interfere with my enjoyment of NFL football. As repugnant as the kneeling is to me, the situation seems to have gotten better, and we'll see how it plays out moving forward into next season.

Frankly, i don't think next season the kneeling will get worse, but in the view of many fans who still support the NFL, just the status quo of kneeling may be unacceptable if it continues.

The NFL could put out this fire by clearly stating in the off season, that kneeling or any form of protest is already forbidden by NFL rules, and therefore the rules will be enforced. In my opinion, that would bring back many of the lost fans. Will the NFL owners have the courage to do that is the question?

• Options

Ironic that we stand and cheer the same folks that kneel.

Fortunately I am not that connected to any team.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 4:26PM

I didn't watch it, in fact, I dumped cable TV last Friday as the price became too exhorbitant. I currently have no TV, and I don't miss it. I also watched not a single football game the entire season, and did not miss it in the least.

Steve

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The game was simply amazing. Stunning actually even though my team came up short.

The Super Bowl delivered in spades

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The kneeling has stopped as far as I have seen lately. And everyone was standing in the SB with most having their hand over their heart. The NFL is alive and well as far as I am concerned,

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    The game was simply amazing. Stunning actually even though my team came up short.

The Super Bowl delivered in spades

mark

Careful...

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    The kneeling has stopped as far as I have seen lately. And everyone was standing in the SB with most having their hand over their heart. The NFL is alive and well as far as I am concerned,

<<< The NFL is alive and well as far as I am concerned, >>>

For sure!

Even with a dip of 3% in the ratings, the overall ratings are of course still very high compared to other broadcasts.

That being said, I just think somehow, some way the NFL has to ask if not demand, that the players keep that sort of behavior off the playing field, which is their place of employment and the owners place of business.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

<<< The NFL is alive and well as far as I am concerned, >>>

For sure!

Even with a dip of 3% in the ratings, the overall ratings are of course still very high compared to other broadcasts.

That being said, I just think somehow, some way the NFL has to ask if not demand, that the players keep that sort of behavior off the playing field, which is their place of employment and the owners place of business.

I totally agree!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was the best Super Bowl I can remember. Ratings should have been through the roof.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

3% drop works out to 6,000,0000 eyes. Not to be discounted.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a shocker. People are watching less TV every year and that’s a good thing. The fact that the NFL ratings were off 9.8% in the regular season and only 3% down year over in the Super Bowl has to have the NFL breathing a sigh of relief. People that tuned out during the regular season came back for the the Super Bowl and were treated to the game of the century. The NFL needs to capitalize on this for next year and clean up the violent hits, improve equipment ( helmets) and make the “catch” rule more transparent

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh boo hoo the ratings are down . Outside of the north east pretty much everyone wanted the Patriots to lose but no one likes the eagles either because of eagles fans . If you are a casual why bother watching a game you don't want either team to win ? Are they supposed to tune in for the ads ?

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Some do watch for the ads, actually. The game turned into one of the great ones. What I don't like is the tendency to speak as if the history of the NFL started with the Superbowl. I even heard Philly fans cheer for their "first" championship ?!?!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    That was the best Super Bowl I can remember. Ratings should have been through the roof.

Love or Hate the Pats but when Brady & Belichick get them into the SB,you know its going to be a very entertaining game. I can say as a fan of NE watching these games its a huge roller coaster of emotions.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    I didn't watch it, in fact, I dumped cable TV last Friday as the price became too exhorbitant. I currently have no TV, and I don't miss it. I also watched not a single football game the entire season, and did not miss it in the least.

Steve

About a year ago I stopped paying for cable as well,bought a digital antenna that gets me about 150 channels with no cable bill and i'm able to watch any TV show or sporting event live online. Watching the football games well is another matter ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were an eagles or Pats fans you might have had a stroke before that game ended . If you were a non partisan fan it must have been exciting from start to finish.