Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hall of Famers with high school or college cards

shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

I’m putting together a list of HOF’ers who have college cards. So far I’ve come up with Emmitt Smith, Patrick Ewing, Brett Hull, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Tony Dorsett. The last 3 are Sportscasters. Who am I missing?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Team issued or just any college uniform? Team issued you’d have to include Iverson and Mutombo and for sets there would be many more.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Team issued.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Frank Thomas?

Mourning, too.

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

A bit of a stretch, but Bill Goldberg is being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame and has this card:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Team issued and very rare, but an All-Time Greatest set not issued during his playing years (1988)...

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

glen robinson, chris webber, jalen rose, juwan howard,

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

rodney hampton patrick ewing

To add some clarity, looking to compile a list of HOF players (the 4 major sports) with college cards issued while they were in school.

• vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Shaq O'neal and David Robinson had college basketball cards. And John Elway had a baseball card in college.

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best memories of high school are of cheering for Paul Kariya at UMaine.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the subject of cards-that-never-were but if they were would qualify for the OP here, I am struck by the thought of how much I'd love a vintage Cornell card of Ken Dryden!

edited February 5, 2018 11:17AM

It isn't the strongest HOF resume ever, but Ryan Miller is likely to eventually get into the HHOF, and he has MSU issue cards from his college days. Coming from this Wolverine, I'll give Spartan Miller that credit and respect for sure; too bad Turco falls a bit short as I loved having that guy in the Maize and Blue during college!

• DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I can think of a couple basketball and football examples.

• I have way too many sets of 1989-90 Georgetown Hoyas Police hoops, which includes Alonzo Mourning as a sophomore and Dikembe Mutombo as a junior. I believe both players are in the 1988-89 and 1990-91 sets.

• I also have a couple sets of 1992-93 Michigan Wolverines hoops with the Fab Five as sophomores. Chris Webber will eventually make the HOF.

• John Hannah is in the 1972 Alabama Crimson Tide Playing Cards set and Derrick Thomas in the 1988 Winners Alabama Crimson Tide set.

• There are some vintage rookie cards featuring HOF guys while still in college. Chuck Bednarik, Doak Walker, and Leo Nomellini from the 1948 Leaf set come immediately to mind, plus Ernie Stautner’s 1949 Topps Felt Back. Those issues aren’t from their schools, of course, but preceded being drafting into the NFL.

@DEFPOTEC said:
    I can think of a couple basketball and football examples.

• I have way too many sets of 1989-90 Georgetown Hoyas Police hoops, which includes Alonzo Mourning as a sophomore and Dikembe Mutombo as a junior. I believe both players are in the 1988-89 and 1990-91 sets.

• I also have a couple sets of 1992-93 Michigan Wolverines hoops with the Fab Five as sophomores. Chris Webber will eventually make the HOF.

• John Hannah is in the 1972 Alabama Crimson Tide Playing Cards set and Derrick Thomas in the 1988 Winners Alabama Crimson Tide set.

• There are some vintage rookie cards featuring HOF guys while still in college. Chuck Bednarik, Doak Walker, and Leo Nomellini from the 1948 Leaf set come immediately to mind, plus Ernie Stautner’s 1949 Topps Felt Back. Those issues aren’t from their schools, of course, but preceded being drafting into the NFL.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to hunt down the '88 Georgetown set. Any idea where I can find one/some?

• DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Looks like a set went unsold on eBay earlier this week. You could contact the seller about relisting.

Link.

Good luck!

Hey guys. Just wanted to provide a quick update on this new endeavor of mine. First off, thanks for all of your input. Based on what I've learned here, and what I've gleamed from the various Standard Catalogs, eBay, and experts like Steve Taft, I've been able to make quite a bit of headway so far. I decided to expand and define this as a HS and college first-card set for HOFers and future HOFers. There are quite a few cards that fit the criteria that I was previously unaware of, which has given me many to shoot for. Here's where I'm at at the moment:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/miscellaneous/20barry20-hs-college-rookies/4099

The '81 Ewing is a card that I always had my eye on was I was younger, so I'm really happy to have been able to add it. What I'm still looking for includes '87 Kansas State Mitch Richmond, '92 Notre Dame Jerome Bettis, '93 Georgia Terrell Davis, '93 U Conn Ray Allen, '94 Cal Tony Gonzalez cards and some others that I'm sure I'm forgetting as I don't have my list in front of me.

• very cool - thanks for sharing

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 1:28PM

I know there is a Larry Bird 1982-83 Indiana State "Sycamore Rampage" card that was released a few years after he went to the NBA. Here is a graded copy of one
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-83-INDIANA-STATE-SYCAMORE-RAMPAGE-LARRY-BIRD-PSA-8-X2521154-053/362179422541?hash=item545393694d:g:Vn8AAOSwceNagTVA

edit:sorry,i missed the issued while still in school comment.

• Bird and Magic both have sportscaster cards also

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Jordan had those North Carolina Cards, I don't know if that was when in the pro's though.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Bird and Magic both have sportscaster cards also

Those are definitely on the list :).

edited February 26, 2018 1:46PM

@tonylags said:
    Jordan had those North Carolina Cards, I don't know if that was when in the pro's though.

I think you're talking about the North Carolina's Finest Coca-Cola set from 1989 & 1990.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-jordan-north-carolina-finest-7-card-1989-lot/323067681478?hash=item4b38559ac6:g:l7YAAOSw-olaBlkV

@erikthredd said:

@tonylags said:

I think you're talking about the North Carolina's Finest Coca-Cola set from 1989 & 1990.

I thought I saw team issue ones too. They may been in early 90's after he made pro's though. I don't recall, I just remember they were popular back in the day.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

@tonylags said:

@erikthredd said:

@tonylags said:

I thought I saw team issue ones too. They may been in early 90's after he made pro's though. I don't recall, I just remember they were popular back in the day.

If they're not the ones i mentioned i honestly don't know which ones you're talking about. There are a couple with MJ in a college uni but most if not all are from after getting to the NBA. I know Star made some mid90's UNC sets during the HSN days that were labeled as 1985 cards.

Those sets were issued after MJ joined the Bulls. Would have been really cool if there was a true Jordan UNC card, but there's not.

edited February 26, 2018 1:56PM

@shagrotn77 said:
    Those sets were issued after MJ joined the Bulls. Would have been really cool if there was a true Jordan UNC card, but there's not.

Its not a card but there is this UNC schedule that had MJ on the cover.
    http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/sportscards/jordanihavepictures/1982-83_Converse_NCAA_basketball_schedule_NNO.jpg

@erikthredd said:

@tonylags said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-jordan-north-carolina-finest-7-card-1989-lot/323067681478?hash=item4b38559ac6:g:l7YAAOSw-olaBlkV

yeah, these kind of look like the ones I remember.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it has already been mentioned please disregard but if not you will want to add a 1994 Bumble Bee Miami Hurricanes Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp.

@Dpeck100 said:
    If it has already been mentioned please disregard but if not you will want to add a 1994 Bumble Bee Miami Hurricanes Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp.

Thanks. The Sapp is the last card in the set I posted above, and the Lewis is on my radar. Just waiting for the price to come down a bit in PSA 10. Can't see paying $500 for the Lewis when the Sapp 10 cost significantly less. I do think the Dwayne Johnson card from that set is pretty darn cool.

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

84 Minnesota-Duluth Brett Hull comes to mind

@MrHockey said:
    84 Minnesota-Duluth Brett Hull comes to mind

That's another one on my list. Very hard to find though.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

As the card mensa you are I am sure you have checked all the mcdonalds AA cards as there are a few girls BK in them. Hull, Yzerman, and super Mario all have college cards plus a few more

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Thanks. The Sapp is the last card in the set I posted above, and the Lewis is on my radar. Just waiting for the price to come down a bit in PSA 10. Can't see paying $500 for the Lewis when the Sapp 10 cost significantly less. I do think the Dwayne Johnson card from that set is pretty darn cool.

I don't blame you. The pops really exploded on the set. The Johnson sold for over 4k on the first 10 and the Lewis over 2k. Down they went.

This set was very tough in high grade for a long time but a good number of uncut sheets surfaced that were in fantastic condition.

Good luck on your quest. Sounds like a very fun adventure.

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

"Hull, Yzerman, and super Mario all have college cards plus a few more"

Hmmm.....

@jay0791 said:
    Hull, Yzerman, and super Mario all have college cards plus a few more

I think you must have been thinking of something else on this one as the latter two were never college players. Yzerman and Mario have Canadian National Jr. Team cards, but they don't have any CHL cards (I'm not counting the different cards of Mario in a Laval sweater that Classic Draft issued, even if it is cool to see pics of him playing in the Q).

Wanted to provide an update on my set:

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/showcase/miscellaneous/20barry20-hs-college-rookies/4099

There are a lot more HOF'er with high school and college rookies than I previously thought. It's been quite a fun pursuit thus far. Many of the cards are 1/1 self submissions. The '87 Kansas State Mitch Richmond, '92 U Conn Ray Allen, '93 Georgia Terrell Davis and '01 Marquette Dwayne Wade have thus far eluded me.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool project - thanks for sharing. Must be fun to look for ones you were not previously aware of.

@brad31 said:
    Cool project - thanks for sharing. Must be fun to look for ones you were not previously aware of.

It is. I'm sure there are plenty that I'm still not aware of. There's no good way to search for them.

Awesome start to a fun set! Now grab up those hockey cards ;)

Back with another update on this set, which has been really fun to collect!

I'm up to 36 cards, including 22 players already in the HOF. 13 were self subs, which is par for the course since there isn't a lot of interest in these cards. If anyone can help out with any of the cards I'm still looking for (see below), I will send you the box of cookies of your choice ;) .

1984 BYU Steve Young
    1987 Kansas State Mitch Richmond
    1991 Virginia Dawn Staley
    1992 Stanford John Lynch
    1993 U Conn Ray Allen
    1993 Georgia Terrell Davis
    1994 Cal Berkeley Tony Gonzalez
    1994 Big 33 Orlando Pace
    2001 Marquette Dwayne Wade

• StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

How about potential HOF'er like Phil Kessel of the Penguins? 2 Stanley cups, over 300 goals and lots of years left to reach 500. 2005 Minnesota Golphers.

Well I am a Penguins fan :) . But to call Phil Kessel a HOF candidate is a stretch IMO.