Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

'Chopmarks' by F.M. Rose, Deluxe Edition. Anyone know of any examples of this rare book?

Frank Rose's 'Chopmarks' was the first English-language text issued on the subject of chop marks, and remains a must-read for anyone interested in the niche (along with 'Chopmarked Coins - A History' by Colin Gullberg, a more than worthy successor). However, most of the copies that you find are in paperback, including the original 1987 editions as well as the later reprint.

It is my understanding that this publication was also released as a hardback in lavender leather and boards, bearing a gilt spine. However, I have never seen a copy of this issue. Do any board members recall ever seeing a copy?

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t know this but would love to find a copy!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the original paperback copy, however, I can say that during the time I spent searching for the copy I do have, I never came across anything other than the paperback copies, including searching previously sold listings.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be worthwhile to send a request to Wayne for the E-Sylum, so he can put it in next week's newsletter http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/club_nbs_esylum_v21n05.html

• Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    I have the original paperback copy, however, I can say that during the time I spent searching for the copy I do have, I never came across anything other than the paperback copies, including searching previously sold listings.

The only instance of a sale of this iteration of the book that I can find is the following:

Lake Books (St. Petersburg, FL) Auction 117—Feb. 4, 2014
    Lot E60: ROSE, F.M.-1987-"Chopmarks"- 54pp, hardbound in lavender 3/4 leather and boards, gilt spine ..... Sold: $55.00

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lake Books (St. Petersburg, FL) Auction 117—Feb. 4, 2014
    Lot E60: ROSE, F.M.-1987-"Chopmarks"- 54pp, hardbound in lavender 3/4 leather and boards, gilt spine ..... Sold: $55.00

Could this perhaps be a case of an affluent collector, or dealer, who was collecting and maintaining a numismatic library, had the book individually bound for use in their own private library?

Also Lavender leather, to me anyway, seems to be an unusual choice of color for a book binding, particularly in this subject matter. I would think black, brown or even red, if it wasn't a one off.

• Options

Very possibly a rebinding, but given the unusual color choice, it seems it would be a distinguishing feature that would seem to make its previous owner fairly easy to identify. I guess we won't know unless it turns up again.

• Options

@saltlydog4 said:
    ive been looking for any copy of this book for awhile. does anyone have any leads on one for sale?

Your best bet is probably eBay, though it has been several months since I have seen a copy available. That said, when they do turn up, they are not typically expensive.