Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How do we determine approximate value of PCGS graded Hong Kong coins?

Coin # 320991 HONG KONG 1 MIL 1865 w/o Hyphen MS66RD PCGS

I can't find the PCGS guide, (found China, not HK) nor can I find any auction records for this grade level.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I remember when!

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it's from NGC but it works.

sometimes.

At least as a "yardstick."

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Well, it's from NGC but it works.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

I've found searching for coins in NGC's world coin explorer to be rather tedious (having to select country, denomination, etc., from the dropdown lists)... especially if you are looking up more than one coin... useful information, though, so what I do is just google something like "1865 hong kong one mil ngc" -- and the results link right to the exact NGC page I need: NGC Hong Kong 1 Mil 1863-1865

BTW, I think NGC just gets this pricing data from Krause.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProfHaroldHill - I bet you liked the KM-1 value better ;). Although NGC doesn’t explicitly say “with hyphen” or not, you can see from their pictures that KM-1 has a hyphen at the top of the coin between HONG and KONG (above the crown) whereas KM-2 does not.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might check Heritage auction archives

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I just checked HA archives and the most recent sale for a PCGS MS65RB was for $358 and MS64RB going for $141. Two years back one MS65RB sold for $167. On eBay it is a different story-- MS65RB selling for $190 recently while a MS64RD selling for $360. It looks like the prices are all over the place. Not checking for other auction houses and just based on this data, the 66RD can be a $500 plus coin.