Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

BEST WAY TO SELL 1963 TOPPS BASEBALL COMPLETE SET (576)

What is the Best Way to Sell a 1963 Topps Baseball Complete Set (576)? It is an Original Owner Set. Not Graded by any Grading Service. IMO, Averages out to at least an 8.0-8.5 across the Set. Want to Maximize Value. Do I Sell Intact as a Complete Set or Sell Star Cards Individually and then Sell the Remaining Cards as a Complete Set minus Stars? What is the Best Venue to Maximize Value? eBay? Amazon? Another Site? Auction House (if so, which one)? Thanks!

Comments

• Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

PM sent

• PM received.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5! Wow that is a high end set. That would put you in the Top-Five All Time 1963 Topps Sets on the Psa Registry. That is some rarefied air.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1963-topps-basic/publishedset/165447

The fourth highest graded set sold for $40K in 2013, so I would expect you to get $50 or 60K for your set!

Good luck.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Thanks. What's best Venue to achieve the Highest Price as a Set? Set won't be in the PSA Registry as I'll be Grading per their Standards.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Sale it to Topps 29 if he makes a good offer. He knows his stuff and is fair to deal with.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

You could be the last hold out with raw '63's in 8 quality. Most everything of that quality has been slabbed. And if it's not, there is usually something wrong with it. But I'm sure your cards are fine.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018 1:43PM

Post scans of 4 or 5 HOF'ers. You get several opinions of cards condition, most members of this forum are a keen judge of cards.

Good Luck with sale !

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scans please.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

I can imagine that this set is being graded through a collector's eyes. I've looked at several raw 'NM-MT' sets for purchase that averaged EXMT at best. I could be wrong, but raw sets typically don't exist in high grade.

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@THECOLLECTOR1 said:
    Thanks. What's best Venue to achieve the Highest Price as a Set? Set won't be in the PSA Registry as I'll be Grading per their Standards.

Scans would be great, because we all can grade to PSA standard, but until the card has that designation, it's usually quite lower than we expect (unless we use the awesome grading service of GMA!) :) 10's for everyone!!!..

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • You really have 2 solid options and 1 tough decision.

Option 1 - reach out to Greg Morris cards about consinning the full set to be sold card by card. He has a huge following of people who pay very well for higher end raw cards (many who hope to score 8-9-10 via PSA grading submission). Scans would be helpful too see how realistic u are about condition.

Option 2- Send the stars n best looking commons in for grading. Invest in the grading fees and wait 60 days+- to get your grades n cards back. Any commons 8sor above will be worth it. Anything less you’ll be wasting money/time on.

Stars make be worth grading just to get them in holders so that u maximize value

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018 5:31PM

Garage sale..

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an Original Owner Set

How many miles does it have on it?

Mike
  • At the moment Scans don't exist. When I'm at that Stage will take and post some High Quality Photos. Thanks to everybody thus far, for your Advise!

• Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Scans don’t exist? Sounds like a reference to Big Foot or the Tooth Fairy.

Trolls they need a feeding

@THECOLLECTOR1 said:

At the moment Scans don't exist. When I'm at that Stage will take and post some High Quality Photos. Thanks to everybody thus far, for your Advise!

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I'm bringing out the yellow card on this thread

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Are you sure they aren't more like 9-9.5s? >:)

• @Stone193 said:

It is an Original Owner Set

How many miles does it have on it?

Very Little

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Title Case Is Fun. Let's All Try It! :)

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bowlarama had a good suggestion for sales avenues. If the set is as nice as you say, it would achieve a very high break up value through Greg Morris.

• The first card I had graded was a Rose rookie I had since childhood. I was sure it was a PSA 8-9. It came back a PSA 5. I learned a bit more about grading since then!

• ^^^ This ^^^ didn't we all...

• tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Bowlarama had a good suggestion for sales avenues. If the set is as nice as you say, it would achieve a very high break up value through Greg Morris.

he does get some amazing prices; does he accept consignments? Anyone know the fee structure?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@tonylags said:

@gemint said:

he does get some amazing prices; does he accept consignments? Anyone know the fee structure?

Greg Morris is $0.50 per card + 25% of sale price. Not the best rates, but he does get above where you would be able to raw so it probably comes out quite ahead.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found another interesting closing auction price for a 1963 Topps Set avg. grade PSA 8.5.

$86,753.09 (with auction house commission)

youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@bigt5959 said:
    The first card I had graded was a Rose rookie I had since childhood. I was sure it was a PSA 8-9. It came back a PSA 5. I learned a bit more about grading since then!

+1

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bowlarama said:
    ^^^ This ^^^ didn't we all...

Lucky for me, the first four cards I ever submitted to PSA in the late 90s were a 1969 Clemente, Mantle, Ryan and Jackson. They graded 9, 8, 8, 8 respectively. I knew I'd be okay when Rocci told my they were 'nice cards' when I submitted them.