Home Sports Talk

College Football - scheduling/cancelling

I saw this post on a UCLA site so obviously from UCLA perspective but Rutgers has cancelled a home and home with the Bruins. Makes sense as Rutgers says they would rather play Syracuse. Makes sense from a ticket sales perspective. Interestingly, Rutgers has to pay UCLA $500k for cancelling.

https://bruinsnation.com/ucla_bruin_football/2018/2/1/16962228/ucla-football-rutgers-cancels-football-series-against-the-bruins

Comments

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Rutgers didn't want any part of a Chip Kelly-coached opponent, even with a few years before that home-and-home was to begin. At least, that's this Bruin's perspective. ;)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't really understand how Rutgers could manage to schedule the game with UCLA to begin with... Off hand, not sure if theses two teams have ever played before

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited February 1, 2018 8:29PM

@coinkat - no they haven't played UCLA before. UCLA schedules a whole bunch of lesser power-5 conference teams for 2 of their 3 yearly non-conference games and refuses to schedule against FCS (I still call them Div 1A) teams. UCLA, USC, and Notre Dame are the only D1 (FBS) teams to never have scheduled an FCS opponent.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    Looks like Rutgers didn't want any part of a Chip Kelly-coached opponent, even with a few years before that home-and-home was to begin. At least, that's this Bruin's perspective. ;)

Are you implying that you actually like Chip Kelly? :s

@bronco2078 said:

Well, he went 46-7 in four years at Oregon, so hoping he'll be able to use the better recruiting base at UCLA to be a big improvement over Jim Mora who started OK, but had a tough last few years.

To be fair to Rutgers, they did just get killed for two years straight in a home-and-home with University of Washington, so they probably would've lost the two games to UCLA regardless of who the Bruin coach was in 2020-2021.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    @coinkat - no they haven't played UCLA before. UCLA schedules a whole bunch of lesser power-5 conference teams for 2 of their 3 yearly non-conference games and refuses to schedule against FCS (I still call them Div 1A) teams. UCLA, USC, and Notre Dame are the only D1 (FBS) teams to never have scheduled an FCS opponent.

That's a good tidbit there. I didn't recall UCLA ever playing 1aa team. I remember they scheduled Fullerton, Long Beach, et all each year but they were D1... just very low level D1 back before they killed their teams.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@mvs7 said:

As a UCLA fan I am very nervous about Chip being in charge. Hopefully it turns out better than I fear.

@larryallen73 - I agree, but am willing to give him a chance. If he'd come to the Bruins directly from Oregon, no one would have had that fear. His challenges in the NFL with the Eagles & 49ers is what leads to the nervousness.

Personally, I think his schemes rely on organized chaos that stretch the field wide and use tempo to (1) get fast people on mismatches in space and (2) confuse the opponent into mistakes. That doesn't work in the NFL because ultimately the scheme is too simple (route trees, etc.), teams adapt too quickly, and NFL players are too fast to force the mismatches as well. I bet if he goes back to a modified version of his Oregon scheme at UCLA, something like Scott Frost was running this year at UCF, he will be successful. That's the hope anyway!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

UCLA has a long standing tradition of scheduling a very tough non-conference schedule... And this tradition even dates back before the days of Red Sanders. I have always respected the UCLA football program for their scheduling. They have set the standard for others to follow.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.