Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Express mail to Japan

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mailed a coin to Japan express on January 17 and was in customs since January 21. Any one has any idea why it stay in customs for so long? The buyer did not say anything yet. What do I expect for the next? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a package Express to Toronto, Ont from Buffalo, about 70 miles. It sat in Customs in NYC for over a week.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting for the buyer to pay the customs duty?

• Options

Maybe? I did not realized Japan is a difficult place to mail coin to.

• Options

I mailed a silver tea set to japan express two months ago and did not have any issue. I really don't know why mailing a coin would be an issue.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn’t difficult.

Actually, come to think of it, it may not be customs duty. It’s probably consumption tax. And it’s probably mostly random, like it is everywhere else.

I shipped an “antique” computer to Japan once (NeXTstation) and had no problems either.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I got a higher value packages FROM Japan they were shipped FedEx. No sitting in customs and I had the package in 24-48 hours--including clearing customs. Once I had to fill out some extra paperwork (due to cost) and FedEx was all over it and expedited things. It's pricey, but for a high value item might be worth the extra care and greasing of the wheels.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with Stork. FedEx is the way to go. When I buy from Canadian dealers, they all ship FedEx with no problems to date.

I advise against registered mail on incoming coins. The USPS treats incoming international registered mail as non-registered first class mail. So you have an international package with all the registered mail markings, but once in the States none of the accountability of registered mail. Nothing quite says "steal me" like that. I have had two registered mail shipments from Canada "lost" over the past five years.

For anything expensive, I now always pay for FedEx. As Stork said, for over $2,500 value customs needs a Tax ID or SSN. If the sender omits, FedEx will send you the form and run interference for you.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com