Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

very tough 1829 O.109a Bust Half

dpvilladpvilla Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Terms:
All items guaranteed to be genuine unless otherwise identified as a copy or replica.
All die varieties guaranteed to be properly attributed.
7-day no hassle return on all purchases.
I will ship only to U.S. addresses.
Shipping costs are included in all prices unless otherwise stated.
Accepted Payment Options: Checks, Money Orders and PayPal (add 3% to the sale price for PayPal).

-- ** See something you like but don't like the asking price? Contact me to discuss. ** --

Thanks.

dpvilla@aol.com
......................................................................................................................................

1829 O-109a R4+ Bust Half Dollar
Here is a very hard to find Overton variety. PCGS has graded a mere 11 examples of this die marriage (1 MS64, 3 AU58, 1 AU55, 1 AU53, and 5 lower grade examples). I don't have the NGC population numbers.

The coin offered here has been my set piece for ~20 years and has never been submitted for grading. It has nearly full luster and I grade as AU53. The obverse has some scattered small ticks as seen in the pic. The reverse is nicer and the strike is as expected for this variety. This piece will certainly receive a straight grade if submitted to any grading service.

The most recent example to appear at auction was in Downey's MB46 in January 2018. That piece was graded PCGS AU53 CAC and brought $1210. Downey's description for that coin is as follows:
"This die pair, long a sleeper, is coming into its own. Davignon’s O.109a, PCGS AU 50, landed at $1,216 in MB 39, lot 57, Aug. 2014. In 2013 it cost him over $2,500 to corral Newman’s NGC MS 61. He commented, very under-rated variety in AU or better; I searched many years for a choice AU; finally got one at Newman sale."
Here's the link https://sheridanscoins.com/inc_active-mb.php (Lot 72)

The PCGS Price Guide shows $700 in AU53 and $900 in AU55.
If you need this variety in high grade, then maybe this one is for you. You may not see another lustrous AU offered for a while.....$685

1652 Pine Tree Three Pence Noe-37 , Cr 2b-A, Sal 2a-B
This one is from my personal collection.
It is in a late die state with a cud at 'A'. No pellets at trunk.
This is a scarce variety (even in VF), and one that was missing from the Norweb collection......$3000

Comments