Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The counterfeiters got almost everything wrong with this 1879 Morgan Dollar...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

...but I have to admit they got the toning right!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still cool looking.:)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they got the date right, 'eh?

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. These suck. Better send them to me for safekeeping.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:|

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

Lovely coins, but the eagle lacks majesty.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for a roll!

Seriously, I don't understand why they didn't redesign the minor silver coins when they introduced the Morgan dollar (or resume the Liberty Seated design on the dollar in 1878). Up to that point the designs on all the silver coins were somewhat uniform. Except for the dollar, this continued to be the case until 1916.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought the eagle looked weird. It has the head and body of the one on the Morgan dollar, but strange-looking wings.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    I'm in for a roll!

Seriously, I don't understand why they didn't redesign the minor silver coins when they introduced the Morgan dollar (or resume the Liberty Seated design on the dollar in 1878). Up to that point the designs on all the silver coins were somewhat uniform. Except for the dollar, this continued to be the case until 1916.

The goal of the 1877 redesign project was to bring back the dollar coin, and it is likely that the minor coins would have followed suit. However, by the time that the dollar was ready to roll, so much fractional silver was flooding back into the country from Civil War-era hoards that there was little need to strike minor coinage for a while. Look at the mintage of dimes, quarters and halves from 1878 to 1891. The dime surplus got absorbed first and then the quarter surplus, but the surplus of half dollars lasted until 1891.

Only then, with production of all three designs about to return to normal, was a new design introduced for all three. It could easily have been a Morgan design, but by then Barber had consolidated his power and, ta-da!- we got the Barber silver.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, now thats different

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 11:46AM

I think that Eagle looks like the one on German or Prussian coins of that time.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauties

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, just beautiful!

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

I think Boiler78 might have gotten stuck with some coins that look like that.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 9:04PM

This advertisement has been paid for and sponsored by Skinny Chic , a diet plan with that hot summer tan!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file