Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA labels

Why do keep seeing 2017-18 NBA PSA graded cards on ebay with old PSA labels on them? Are these fraud?

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018 8:48PM

@IdahoBob said:
    Why do keep seeing 2017-18 NBA PSA graded cards on ebay with old PSA labels on them? Are these fraud?

You could use the guide I created to determine the approximate age of the label.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbhcm18nj2c1o8p/History of the PSA Label.pdf?dl=0

• Options

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. I guess It is ok for a 2017-2018 NBA Panini prizm with an old 2005 PSA label on it. For some reason that doesn't make sense to me. I would think a brand new recently released panini card has a new lighthouse label.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

A link or pict would help.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess, he thinks this is an old label: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Panini-Prizm-117-Donovan-Mitchell-RC-Rookie-Jazz-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/362236457571

It's a bit difficult to see, but it's a hologram label (immediately before they switched to the lighthouse) last year. I just went through every active listing on eBay with '2017 panini prizm psa' as the search query, all have lighthouse or holo labels, as expected. All should have barcodes on the back as well, but I didn't verify backs.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

fwiw, I'm pretty sure I saw some non-lighthouse labels with cert #'s starting with 283 listed by 4SC. It was some time after the OP's initial post. Pretty sure they were 72 Topps baseball.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

I bought a 2017 Lonzo Ball hoops psa 10 that had a picture on auction with the lighthouse label. The seller sent me a psa 10 card with an old label on it. The seller had multiple lonzo Ball cards cards in his listing. I complained and got my money back. He said it wasn't a big deal. item# 391950102409.
    Once again a card mfg after the lighthouse label was implemented shouldn't have an older label.

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@IdahoBob said:
    I bought a 2017 Lonzo Ball hoops psa 10 that had a picture on auction with the lighthouse label. The seller sent me a psa 10 card with an old label on it. The seller had multiple lonzo Ball cards cards in his listing. I complained and got my money back. He said it wasn't a big deal. item# 391950102409.
    Once again a card mfg after the lighthouse label was implemented shouldn't have an older label.

It seems quite common, though a little unexpected. 4 Sharp Corners has quite a few cards like this as well as a few other sellers on eBay with certs that start after the PSA label change. Maybe PSA is using there old PSA labels until they run out on some orders.?

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there was an overlap period with the introduction of the lighthouse and last of the holo labels. About a month or two IIRC that people were getting one or the other pretty randomly as subs were returned.