Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money, Volume 3 - Will it happen?

This is probably a question for @Dentuck, but I will also ask the group - The Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money, Volume 3, had a supposed publication date of August, 2017, but it didn't happen?

I know that these projects are labors of love and are rather endless, but will more books in this Mexican series come to fruition?

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been waiting too...

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 9:45PM

I don’t think Volume 1 or 2 have been big sellers....

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

I don't know much about how an enterprise like Whitman Publishing, L.L.C. makes the money side of numismatic books work out, but no doubt some of the big annual best sellers provide much support for the smaller specialty titles. The Company wants the public to have their name come to mind whenever someone thinks about buying coin books and supplies.

Besides, there seemed to be a specific date listed for last August...

• Options

@pruebas said:

Volume 2 sold out.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo what are the differences in Volumes I and II?

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Amazon is listing used copies of Vol 2 for $1450... [That is not pesos!]

https://www.amazon.com/Whitman-Encyclopedia-Mexican-Money-II/dp/0794839541

• Options

@giorgio11 volume 1 is before 1905, volume 2 is after 1905, volume 3 should be details of early numismatics and volume 4, revolution.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 11:08AM

I thought I saw a couple of copies of Volume 2 at $39 plus postage on the Bay.

People can ask anything they want on many selling sites. Had a fellow try to sell me a modern Australian gold coin the other day, a one ounce deal less than four years old. I told him spot plus 20% would be difficult to get for it. His response? It's listed for $6950 on eBay! I told him to go sell it there! His response? Oh, I can't do that! My response? You're correct, but not in the way you just meant when you said that!

• Options

@BillDugan1959 volume 2 is advertised as sold out at Whitman's.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @BillDugan1959 volume 2 is advertised as sold out at Whitman's.

I am aware of that (the Whitman Publishing page is a saved link on my computer), but I believe that there are still many sources in the secondary market.

Based upon the fact that Whitman sold out Volume 2 before Volume 1, many persons would guess that they printed rather fewer copies of Volume 2.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 12:51PM

@Abuelo said:
    @giorgio11 volume 1 is before 1905, volume 2 is after 1905, volume 3 should be details of early numismatics and volume 4, revolution.

Thanks Grandfather, very useful, I just ordered Volume I with Amazon Prime and it was about 30 bucks. I think most of the info I need is gonna be pre-1905 anyway. I coupled it with Coins of North America which covers Canada, US, and Mexico, of course, so I should have some pretty good references going. Now if I can just manage the Compendio de a Ocho!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@giorgio11 volume 3 should be good too, assuming gets published.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭