Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Selket, Egyptian goddess, a medal . Does anyone have more details?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received this piece together with a small coin collection. It is not gold ( I wish) .
I tried Google many different ways but did not get any details, except that she was a goddess and had scorpions at her disposal.
Any more information is much appreciated.
Has anyone ever seen a medal like that?
is it worth anything?

thank you for your help

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 12:03PM

There are two sets of initials on the "Heads" side of the piece.

One set of initials is "HAS" (I think).

This likely denotes 'H. Alvin Sharpe', probably the best-known engraver of Mardi Gras doubloons and medals. He did some American Southwestern exonumia pieces as well, but he is best known as a Mardi Gras doubloon engraver.

I would guess this is somehow related to one of the 'krewes' that do the Mardi Gras parade floats. These krewes often have mystical themes.

Also note, your piece clearly has a 'heads' and 'tails', which would help many Mardi Gras revelers in a later state of being alcoholically euphoric. Flip for drinkies!

My best quick guess. Not 100% certain, though. The internet has quite a few articles on H. Alvin Sharpe.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

While looking for information, found this very neat page about Egyptian watch fob tokens that's probably not related to your coin, but still worth a read: brianrxm.com/comdir/cnsmain_egyptmagiccoin.htm

I do remember seeing a lot of souvenir tokens that looked similar to yours on my trip to Egypt a few years back.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 7:48PM

H. Alvin Sharpe died in 1982. He invented the Mardi Gras doubloon in 1959. He especially produced ship-themed doubloons for the Krewe of Poseidon, 1967-1983 (the 1983 version was ready at his death and appeared posthumously). He was also a jeweler, a watch maker and an intaglio print maker.

In 1983, The Krewe of Jefferson honored Sharpe with a doubloon, showing The Great Man at His Craft!

This is my idea of a very great tribute! Engraved by 'JLR'.

All three aluminum, two anodized.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Selket coin looks interesting. If I may ask, how large is it?

Thank you, TwoKopeiki for the reference to my Egyptian Magic Coin website.

Egyptian Magic Coin, 32mm, bronze

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 - didn't realize it was your site - nice research! I enjoyed reading it.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all so far.
    the weight is: 26.2 grams
    Diameter is: 39.08 mm
    thickness is: 2.9 mm

Today is the first day of the rest of my life