Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1972 Football Wrapper Mystery

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2018 7:34PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

When I first started collecting wrappers, I became aware that the 1972 Football wrappers came in five ad variations, each corresponding to a unique color combination on the wrapper artwork.
Every photo I've seen of a full wax box from this set has packs with some or all of these variations, which are shown below.

At first I assumed these five variations were all that existed. But I recently acquired two more wrappers that are definitely different from those five. Their ads are not new. But if you compare the versions with the same ad, there are two color differences: the orange areas are replaced by yellow, and the blues are a lighter shade. These appear below:

Perhaps most interesting is that these two are both slightly smaller than the other five:

I would love to know the story on these. Are there only two ads that come like this, or are there others? They definitely seem less common. Are they connected to the high number series? If anyone has examined a lot of full boxes from this set or has any insight, please comment.

Comments