Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Would u try to cross this over to a PSA Gem Mint 10?

1. Do you think this would successfully cross over and 2. would you do it? Here it is:

Comments

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Has a chance for sure
    Nice !!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a question or an observation. But do you have an unhealthy obsession with Aaron Judge?? And I would venture to say, no matter how good he is, or "might" become....never put all your eggs into one basket. Just ask the guys sitting on stacks of Joe Charboneau or Jim Lindeman rookies. Or one of dozens of other guys that were sure fire hofer's after their first year. That being said, keep collecting what you love and I do hope he ends up being as great as you/we all hope he will be!!! Cheers!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 5:36AM

@PROMETHIUS88 ~ as collecting hoarders aren't we all a little obsessive compulsive? I do appreciate the genuine concern on your part...thank you.... The fact that I live in Fort Lauderdale and fly to the Big Apple on weekend Yankee home series games is another compulsive issue... its not cheap by any stretch.... but its a labor of love as they say... thoroughly enjoyable. I dont gamble on sports but I guess collecting is my way of playing the fantasy sports market. I was as compulsive about Strawberry and Gooden growing up and certainly took a beating there ~like the rest of us.... Judge seems a bit more polished socially and more focused and restrained. There is no accounting for injuries, however and that is likely his biggest battle going forward. I will add this ...I never made any money without taking some calculated risk.

• BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 7:56AM

Where in the minds of collectors is Stephen Strasburg nowadays?
    Not a bad pitcher, but was he worth ALL the hype ?

In no ways at all am I bashing your collecting habits. You never know.

But what happened to that collector who bought a BGS 9.5 Strasburg 1 of 1 for 20 or 30K ?

What is that card worth today at auction ?

edited January 30, 2018 8:02AM

The one thing I'll say about Judge
    he is 25 years old
    who spent some time in the minors
    and the kind of rookie season he had, was not what he showed all the time in the minors

we'll see
    but he is 25 (almost 26)
    a lot of lost years to rack up stats

@BGS_Buyer~ along those lines Cody Bellinger is a full 3 years younger and has a more fluid, less stressful swing ~ kinda wanna ask why his Red Ink is ONLY a grand? I can certainly see him hitting 50 a couple times in his career if not more ...the kid is 6'-4" and gets hot to the tune of 10 homers a pop in 2 weeks time.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 9:23AM

Collecting baseball cards of a baseball player doesn't need to have anything to do to with racking up stats.

Anecdotally, my 7 year old likes Brett Gardner. My instinct is not to tell him, "Sorry, son, that's a bad buy, no way he gets 3000 hits."

That said, if Judge is hitting 40-50 per year from age 25 onward, that would eventually be better over a full, healthy career— from a stat-racking POV— than had he hit 20 HRs at ages 23 and 24, and then only 30-35 annually onward. So only time will tell.

Also, the best players can and should improve. It is specious at best to assume a player must perform in line with his minor league stats. And yet, some of his early scouting reports suggested the potential was there. From Mattingly to Piazza, low-level draft picks wound up becoming elite players.

All I know is that when I collected as a kid, I didn't buy a coveted Darryl or Dwight thinking I could flip it for a life changing sum down the line. No reason for collecting to stray from that core ethos with age. I guess some purchase sportscards for profit. Yet others simply collect. Viewing another's card purchase through one's own prism is only accurate if the two philosophical prisms are the same.

As to that Strasberg collector, if he is still an avid Strasberg collector who had the money to spend on a baseball card he really wanted— and the only time he could have obtained that 1/1 card was in that specific moment— I would imagine he is a happy man right now.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

@Odessafile said:
    1. Do you think this would successfully cross over and 2. would you do it? Here it is:

If you are the type of collector who prefers all his slabs in one style of holder, by all means roll the dice. Otherwise, I am loath to hand a TPG money to tell me what I can see plain as day. If the concern is imminent resale, it is a case of six versus a half dozen— the card has one BGS 10 sub and is otherwise all 9.5, so the price point between the two TPGs is pretty much a push factoring in a cross fee.

edited January 30, 2018 9:21AM

@BGS_Buyer ~ Ive always been a vintage collector...very little mystery involved in Clemente, Namath, Aaron and MAys....and Aaron Judge actually got me into collecting new players single handedly ...I never bought a Strasburg or a Harper....my collecting days were the late 70's early to mid 80's and then went to college and got away from it for 10-15 years....I do recall Strasburg having surgery which was the deflating moment there ... if he stays consistent however and wins 20 a few times and can win 250 ..I think he can recapture some of that magic as a HOF'er...but his "phenom" status is clearly diminished. HE is overshadowed by Scherzer a bit. The only cards I'd spend 20-30k on are Gem Mint 10 Aaron, Mantle, Mays, Ryan, Rose cards from the 50's and 60's....among many other vintage RC issues of HOF'ers.

• I've got 50 of these because there is NO DOUBT he's looking at 500 HR and the HOF. No doubt!

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

edited January 30, 2018 10:03AM

@Odessafile said:

I do recall Strasburg having surgery which was the deflating moment there ... if he stays consistent however and wins 20 a few times and can win 250 ..I think he can recapture some of that magic as a HOF'er

win 20 a few times ?
    when will he get his first one ?

edited January 30, 2018 10:37AM

He's due...he is a heck of a pitcher and even 15-4 is dominating...he'll be fine. His career 3.07 ERA is absolutely tremendous. Jack Morris just got in the HOF with a career 3.90. Stephen wins 200 games minimum.

• @DM23HOF said:
    Collecting baseball cards of a baseball player doesn't need to have anything to do to with racking up stats.

That said, if Judge is hitting 40-50 per year from age 25 onward, that would eventually be better over a full, healthy career

All I know is that when I collected as a kid, I didn't buy a coveted Darryl or Dwight thinking I could flip it for a life changing sum down the line.

1 - it sure does, when you put down a boat load of money, the way the hobby is today

2 - BIG if .... HUGE if

3 - You sure about that ? I though we ALL did

• @Odessafile said:
    He's due...he is a heck of a pitcher and even 15-4 is dominating...he'll be fine.

he'll be lucky to finish his career with 160+ wins

edited January 30, 2018 10:14AM

@BGS_Buyer said:

Looks like we participate in the same hobby from vastly different viewpoints.

Oh, I am sure about that.

Counting stats and future predictions and resultant money don't factor into what modern cards I buy and why I buy them. I simply collect who I enjoy watching and rooting for.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    I bought these because I loved watching them, they gave me some happy moments, and I really thought the cards were cool as a boy.

Still do.

A decade from now, I'll say the exact same thing about the small handful of modern players I collect today.

Really slacking with that 84TT Tiffany Gooden ;) Nice run of childhood heroes.

I think the HOF or bust mentality that prevails in some corners of the card hobby is really out of touch with the reality of the game itself. I am lucky to get the perspective of a lot of current and former players, and a career like Strasberg has logged in thus far is extremely good. It is hard enough for a player to just get drafted, let alone perform at that level.

• @DM23HOF said:

@BGS_Buyer said:

Looks like we participate in the same hobby from vastly different viewpoints.

Oh, I am sure about that.

Counting stats and future predictions and resultant money don't factor into what modern cards I buy and why I buy them. I simply collect who I enjoy watching and rooting for.

I think this is apples and oranges
    kids buying the cards from years ago (80's what you showed)
    vs. the topic of the modern cards (thousands of dollars)
    we're talking 2 different things
    but some pockets go deeper, so its all relative

edited January 30, 2018 10:25AM

@DM23HOF said:
    I think the HOF or bust mentality that prevails in some corners of the card hobby is really out of touch with the reality of the game itself. I am lucky to get the perspective of a lot of current and former players, and a career like Strasberg has logged in thus far is extremely good. It is hard enough for a player to just get drafted, let alone perform at that level.

I get your whole "for the love of the game" thing
    the conversation was about the risk of paying so much so soon

we all have the ability to appreciate from afar, just like you
    again, it's about the $

• au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    He's due...he is a heck of a pitcher and even 15-4 is dominating...he'll be fine. His career 3.07 ERA is absolutely tremendous. Jack Morris just got in the HOF with a career 3.90. Stephen wins 200 games minimum.

This is a classic case of the selective use of statistics to support a position.
    Strasburg has one complete game and one season of more than 200 innings in 8 seasons.
    Jack Morris averaged more than 200 innings and nearly 10 complete games over 18 seasons.
    There is no comparison.

edited February 6, 2018 5:01PM

@au58 .....The game has changed with setup men and middle relievers at every turn...Morris played in a different era altogether...complete games are no longer a goal for managers ...or pitchers .... a middle reliever today is almost obligatory....just look at the plummeting complete game stats in the last 20 years..... Managers don't want their studs throwing over 110 pitches or they get a reprimand from upper management. ERA is a universal comparison for starting pitchers that is pretty UNSELECTIVE.

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Reminds me of Kerry Wood (think that is who it was), the next Nolan Ryan, strong arm, when I lived in Texas during his rise to fame, his stuff was really high, then an injury, and bam, that was it..never the same...

I think with Darryl, Doc and Matty, I think back at what they did in a few years in the late 80's to where they became collectible. I'm stuck in this era and I still pull every one of those cards aside, they were the guys then..

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Back to the original question. I would look as close as you can to make sure there are no scratcheson the surface. The edges and corners look fine. It should crossover to a 10.

As for everything else, collect what makes you happy. After all, every one of us have issues by collecting cardboard with pictures of men on them.

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    1. Probably
    2. No, unless it's a bgs 10/10 I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. Financially speaking of course