Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What was the longest time you had to wait to get the card you really wanted?

BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭

For me, 30+ years to get a Mattingly Donruss Rookie

It was out of reach as a kid
My collecting interests went on different paths through the years
Off and on collecting
And when I decided to finally get it
it took forever finding a centered one

show pictures if you can
pics are always fun to look at

Comments

• FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Ten years for me. My first 1887 Old Judge card of Willie Hogan.

• That card was worth the wait!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is what a 10 is all about. Very nice!!!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 6:18AM

For me it was Jordan's 1988 Fleer Sticker in a PSA Mint 9. Before i left the hobby 12+years ago,i was on a mission to find a perfectly centered 88 Fleer Sticker of MJ. I bought at least 30-40 of these stickers with great centering but every one had some other issue that would keep it from grading Mint 9. Fast Forward to this past year and my first purchase back into the hobby was this MJ 88 Fleer Sticker PSA Mint 9. I just loved the centering along with everything else about it.

sidenote: tried crossing this over to a BGS 9 and didn't get it.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

couple of months before I was finally able to trade for them

myslabs.to/smzcards

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

22 years, and it in theory was not a rare card, I just couldn't track one down. In my now 30 years in the hobby I've only ever traded one card that I've ever had and then no longer did. It's been haunting me since 1996 when I made the mistake. I just got a replacement this past Sunday, as a gift from a fellow card blogger, no less.
    1995-96 Upper Deck Electric Court #310

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 5:22PM

30+ years for a Pete Rose RC that appealed to me...

Purchased in an REA auction. According to the folks at REA...the company purchased a collection of cards in which original owner would open the packs back in the day then put the cards back in the wax packs...not handling them again until REA made the discovery.

mint_only_pls
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is what a 10 is all about. Very nice!!!> @mintonlypls said:

30+ years for a Pete Rose RC that appealed to me...

Need a pict.

• 25 years(mainly because I stopped collecting in 1996 and didn't start back until last year).

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I first caught a glimpse of the rare and beautiful 1960 Post Cereal Sports Stars Mickey Mantle while roaming through an old A&P Grocery Store as a 6-year-old. Even at that young age, I could recognize how beautiful and elegant this card was. Mickey was the only star I knew, since my schoolmates had been talking about him. I thought about asking my mom if she would buy the box of cereal for me, but at this moment, she had just finished checking out, and was calling me to come. If there's one thing a 6-year old does not want, it's to be left alone at the grocer. I made a mad dash for her.

The next time we went to the A & P, I went to the cereal section to look for the Post Cereal boxes with the big pictures of the sports stars, intent on finding Mickey Mantle. They were all gone, and another backside promotion had taken their place. At my young age, I had no idea what a limited time promotion was.

It took me 38 years before I was able to get that majestic Mantle. It was so important to me, I featured the card, along with a pair of other extra tough regional rarities, on the cover of my book about immediate postwar regionals, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. I am not adroit at loading up images on here; however, if you wish to see my '60 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle, simply Google the book title, and the cover will pop up, whether under the "images" category, or the press release, written by former Sports Collectors Digest editor, Tom Bartsch. It was also featured on the hobby web magazine, SPORTS COLLECTORS DAILY. by its editor, Rich Mueller.

Great stories, guys; keep 'em coming. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)