Home Sports Talk
Options

Super Bowl & Pro Bowl Observation

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2018 3:53PM in Sports Talk

Was watching the end of the Pro Bowl today and got to thinking, now that the Pro Bowl is played the week before the Super Bowl, we won't ever see again a player from a Super Bowl team playing in the Pro Bowl. I remember years ago the Pro Bowl was played a week after the Super Bowl and back in 1990/1991 Jim Kelly was named Pro Bowl MVP a week after losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl 20-19. Small consolation, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 4:38PM

This must really stink for some players that make the pro bowl but can't play if they're team is in the SB. Pretty sure i read somewhere that unless your contract has a PB incentive in it,you don't get paid for making the team unless you play in the game. Where for years guys were able to play the SB then PB and didn't lose out on the experience. Its probably not a big deal for players like Brady & Brees but for some 1st or 2nd year player its gotta suck. Just look at Pats fullback James Develin,he made the PB for the first and possibly only time,and won't be able to get to be a part of that experience.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PB is meaningless anyway. The SB is WAY more important. Plus the fact that they made the PB (All Pro) is still on the stats, which is really all that counts.

JMHO B)

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

They should cancel the pro bowl and change it to a flag football competition. It's a joke. Waste of tv space.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

if someone will systematically gather every all-star game, i'll raise the dumpster lid

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    if someone will systematically gather every all-star game, i'll raise the dumpster lid

Which is the worst? I think its basketball , the pro bowl is the most invisible though . I have never seen one even by mistake

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Which is the worst? I think its basketball , the pro bowl is the most invisible though . I have never seen one even by mistake

every inmate in solitary confinement is forced to watch the nba all-star game

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Its gotta be football,basketball can at least be somewhat entertaining at times even though they don't play defense. The Pro Bowl also has tons of players that get picked for the game bow out for whatever reasoning or because their team is in the SB the following week. There could literally be half a roster of replacement players that actually play in the game which kind of ruins it a bit IMO.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2018 1:30PM

football is intrinsically barbaric and livelihoods can be altered on moment's notice. heck, robert edwards almost had his leg amputated after sustaining an injury during a flag football game on the beach before the pro bowl. hence, i never once expected to see players put themselves in high-risk situations in a de facto exhibition game (when i watched many moons ago), and i certainly didn't expect it to mirror the game that preceded it in any shape or form.

but there is absolutely no excuse for the nba all-star game to ever be mistaken for a bullfight. it has become so revolting over the years that the association was finally forced to make a move this season. whether or not the pick-up game is enhanced by Steph & LBJ choosing squads remains to be seen. who knows, perhaps guys who feel slighted for being a "later-round pick" will prevent the red sea from parting quite as wide as it has in years past. i actually plan on watching next month, but the first time i see someone go the length of the floor without being touched, i'm going to immediately turn my t.v. off and see if dimeman wants to hang out.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2018 1:48PM

@galaxy27 said:
    football is intrinsically barbaric and livelihoods can be altered on moment's notice. heck, robert edwards almost had his leg amputated after sustaining an injury during a flag football game on the beach before the pro bowl. hence, i never once expected to see players put themselves in high-risk situations in a de facto exhibition game (when i watched many moons ago), and i certainly didn't expect it to mirror the game that preceded it in any shape or form.

but there is absolutely no excuse for the nba all-star game to ever be mistaken for a bullfight. it has become so revolting over the years that the association was finally forced to make a move this season. whether or not the pick-up game is enhanced by Steph & LBJ choosing squads remains to be seen. who knows, perhaps guys who feel slighted for being a "later-round pick" will prevent the red sea from parting quite as wide as it has in years past. i actually plan on watching next month, but the first time i see someone go the length of the floor without being touched, i'm going to immediately turn my t.v. off and see if dimeman wants to hang out.

didn't the NFL do the Pro Bowl "draft" in recent years? IIRC it was Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders that picked the teams and they made the picks live on a PB selection tv show. Someone high up in the NBA must have thought their players egos couldn't handle doing the same.
    That Robert Edwards injury was brutal. He just came off a great rookie season for the Pats rushing for 1000+ yards.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

The people who complain most about the NBA all-star game are those who don't watch it.
    It's a nice opportunity to see players actually having fun on the court without any stress of playoff standings or injury.

With the NBA changing it to placate whiners who don't watch it anyway, it's now lost all meaning. I'm still going to watch it but I will probably work on scanning cards or updating my Excel charts instead of giving it my full attention like I usually do. At least the skills competition the night before should be good. The three-point shootout has been my favorite event since the late 90s.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

@BillyKingsley said:
    The people who complain most about the NBA all-star game are those who don't watch it.
    It's a nice opportunity to see players actually having fun on the court without any stress of playoff standings or injury.

With the NBA changing it to placate whiners who don't watch it anyway, it's now lost all meaning. I'm still going to watch it but I will probably work on scanning cards or updating my Excel charts instead of giving it my full attention like I usually do. At least the skills competition the night before should be good. The three-point shootout has been my favorite event since the late 90s.

this whiner agrees. i've been to 13 Rockets games this year, but i haven't actually witnessed any of the action because i can't seem to get off of shapchat. my plan is to put my phone aside and watch this year's AS game intently; hopefully the action will mimic everything i've missed in the first half of the reg season.

and agree again regarding the anticipation surrounding this year's 3-point contest. i'm very much looking forward to watching Steph Curry watch it.

• Options

@BillyKingsley said:

I don't mind watching the NBA all star game. You pretty much know what you're getting beforehand,a fast pace game with a ton of offense on display. It won't get competitive until the finals minutes but you're probably gonna see some better dunks than the ones in the dunk contest the night before. One of the years an All Star team is gonna go for 200+ points in a game.

• Options

Hey, my first disagree on the forum! I guess I'm finally doing something right. Doesn't make sense based on the reply but whatever, it took longer than I expected, hah!

• Options

sorry you're so perplexed this early in the morning, BK. allow me to help a brother out........my post was dripping with sarcasm from beginning to end

• Options

I figured as such. That tends to come with being a Rockets fan :D

Seriously though, have you ever seen how much some supposed news outlets whine about the game? NBC's ProBasketballTalk publishes about double the number of posts whining about it then they do actually covering it. Just one example.

• Options

not a Rockets fan, a diehard hoops fan. but yes, i thoroughly enjoy watching the team with the second best record in the league. so i guess unless you're a Warriors fan and hit up Oracle regularly, i should be the one laughing?

by all means, enjoy the absurd misrepresentation which is the nba all-star game..........while you are scanning your cards and updating your Excel charts :D

• Options

I support 29 teams but the Nets are my favorite (for some reason even I can't remember). I just can't support the heat. But I still watch them on league pass, as I try to watch every game each night.

Laughing at your own jokes is more than acceptable, no?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pro Bowl will never be a meaningful game regardless, no player is going all out because of potential injury.

• Options

They shouldn't even have a Pro Bowl game. Just name the players to give them their credit.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember when the Pittsburgh Steelers would play an exhibition football game vs the college all stars? I remember one year a Steelers WR broke his leg. Imagine seeing a game like that played today, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chicago football classic anyone? 1934-1976 preseason NFL champs played the college football seniors

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never a fan of the all star games. Watched baseball ASG as a kid, but didn't like the quick player rotations. Had they kept the same lineup through the game it would have been better.

Even as a big NFL fan a decade or two ago. I never watched the pro bowl.

• Options

I have never watched a Pro Bowl and doubt I ever will. But I do like the All Star Games of the MLB and NBA.