Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Wowsa... what is that, a 7 at best? Two very distracting fish eyes, slight tilt and at least one touched corner... even a couple of stains on the back.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say it's a solid 8, but not worth $225.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. I commented about it on a previous thread that several years ago when I was concurrently putting together 2 1975 Topps sets - a PSA 8+ set and a raw NM-MT+ set - I would quite often purchase the graded cards from other sellers at a price less than what raw ones of the same card (generously the same grade), would sell for in the Greg Morris auctions that would end later the same day.

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 12:21PM

I like Greg Morris and have purchased quite a few items for my 1960's raw football sets. You do have to be careful to not over bid or get caught up in bidding. I usually look for graded SGC or PSA 8's prior to the end of auction. In a number of cases I bought and cracked those instead.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:
    I like Greg Morris and have purchased quite a few items for my 1960's raw football sets. You do have to be careful to not over bid or get caught up in bidding. I usually look for graded SGC or PSA 8's prior to the end of auction. In a number of cases I bought and cracked those instead.

Exactly. Same here for my raw baseball sets from the 60s and early 70s. Sometimes it's just less money for a better card to go ahead and crack it out. Having said that, I have always been very pleased with the raw cards that I have won from Greg Morris. Always as described, if not better. Like anything, there are likely detractors out there, but that has not been my experience with the few cards I've received him.

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I've boughten cards from Greg Morris and he has top quality service and product. Meant nothing against him, just think a bidding war ensued. The fish eyes are the only thing I saw that could hold it back from a 8.5+. I thought Pepe Mangual was a registered trademark for the Expos there for a second. :D

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think some people get caught up in bidding against one another sometimes on a particular item that was placed in their watch list when the price was low, so much so that they can forget to just pull out and look for other comparable items priced lower that may have been listed after the date they watched the first item, and this case may have some of that influence.

For example, there is a PSA graded item I've been watching that sold recently for a little under $500 but an equivalent one was listed and available for almost $200 less, and it surprised me that several different people had placed bids on the first one that were a lot higher than what could have won them the 2nd one. The two of them are the same card in the same PSA 10 grade with equal eye appeal and both from sellers with good reputations, but the first one was listed a couple days earlier than the 2nd one, and I think even though there were quite a lot of bidders on the first, they all found the card on the same day or two rather than checking throughout the bidding period to see if there might be another one for less.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Debatable if it would even be an 8, I see touches at at least three corners, one very noticeable. Only way the price makes sense is expecting a 9, not even close.

• MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I have bid on cards from Greg Morris before. I have also won a few. Excellent seller. Raw sellers who grade fairly on eBay generally do very well as they attract people looking to score "10s" at a bargain. Sure they may sell the occasional card that grades a 10 that loses them money, but in the long run, they are ahead as they get solid prices for almost every card. In this case, I can only assume those bidding felt this card would grade out very well.

Matt

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I purchased from Greg Morris a few years back to finish up my 1972 set. Excellent seller. However, it's gotten difficult to purchase to fill sets because of how strong some of the hammer prices of his auctions are.

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@Mefer said:
    I have bid on cards from Greg Morris before. I have also won a few.

Matt

This. My winning percentage is very low on his auctions, and I overpay on most of the cards that I do win. However, I have always been satisfied with the quality of the cards in hand.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Serious raw set builders will pay above premium when buying from a seller they trust. Some people do not buy and crack PSA slabs. These raw set builders trust Greg Morris, and they stick with him. Overpaying is not an issue for them. You will see many of Greg's cards go over book. He has a following, and they will overpay just to do business with him.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 6:06PM

Inda_cards might get even higher than greg morris sometimes. A few of his cards are nice, but the price paid sometimes goes above and beyond the grade possible. Sometimes as much as 50% higher than the grade that will be given warrants.

Anyone ever buy any from this raw seller? I have no idea if the cards are as pictured or photoshopped.

1968 Topps Nolan Ryan $3052
    1976 Topps Walter Payton $854
    1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky $1,136
    1981 Topps Joe Montana $533
    1987 Fleer Michael Jordan $335

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

The average "7" is around $100 so to pay $150 for a card has 10% of hitting that grade is ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!!

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

Their 86-87 fleer breaks are insane. They routinely get $10+ for NM commons that can be bought in lots for $1-$2 each.