Home Sports Talk

Congratulations to the Thome-nator!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2018 7:02AM in Sports Talk

As a Cleveland Indians fan I guess I have some bias when it comes to Jim Thome's election to the MLB HOF, but I really believe he was a very worthy recipient of this award. From a homer point of view he was one of the key elements in the Teams resurgence during the 1990's to a franchise that seems to have figured out how to win and be competitive. It was sad to see him leave but nice to watch his continued success in Philadelphia and Chicago. All the while, Jimmy had a way of staying positive and avoiding controversy during the Steroid-era: I have never read anything which suggested he was a user and just assume he was always clean.

During his time in Cleveland we jokingly called him the "corn-fed farmboy" as he'd launch one of his titanic blasts and trot around the bases. If you saw him play you'd know what I mean!!! The statue below is behind centerfield in the Jake where some of his HR's landed.

Al H.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a beast and well deserving of the honor

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite players of all time. Great guy and extremely nice as well.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic hitter and seemed to be a great person as well.

VERY deserving in my mind of HOF!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember in the early 90's when he came up through the Minors and they talked about his power and where he could play. third base always seems the entry position for Cleveland(they have a logjam there now) and that's where Thome came up with a quick move to first and the DH. he was the rare Major Leaguer because he was always so upbeat. it helped that he played with/for Mike Hargrove who always had repoire with the younger guys, could teach and motivate them.

if you remember those Cleveland Teams they had Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome at the heart of the lineup. they were easy to watch with rising stars like Carlos Baerga, Kenny Lofton and Sandy Alomar, Jr. finding their way into the lineup.

curse you Atlanta Braves and your all-star pitching staff!!! I think it is kind of cool that in the same year we get to see Jim Thome and Chipper Jones accepted into the Hall.