Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone good with Topps Coins??

I ran into an album filled with 1964 and 1971 Topps Coins. I have never, ever considered sending any in for grading but there are some that "appear" to be very nice. My question is two fold. First, how the heck to you grade these things and second, how do you even send them in if you want to have PSA grade them. Tried to look for info but the submission area is still down. Not like you can just put them in a card saver and into a box...or can you?? Thanks!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratching and "rubbing?" (on front of coin) seem to be the major issues, send them in just like cards in a card saver.

VERY hard to find in mint condition. HOFers from these years can bring some nice money.

Good luck! Post a few scans please!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 12:20PM

Up through 1994 I collected anything listed in the SCD Standard Catalog for Topps. That included Coin sets in 1956 (actually pins), 1964, 1971, 1980 (test set of 3), 1987, 1988, 1989 and 1990. Not sure what they may have put out coin wise after that. I have never graded mine but graded examples abound on eBay. There are some interesting variations in the 64 and 71 sets.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Al

This year Topps Archives - retail only - inserted coins in their blaster boxes.

I have 8 of them. I did like them - set includes Judge - 25 in all.

Not surprising, Beckett is "way" off on how much collectors are willing to fork out for them - especially the Judge.

Mike
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 3:34PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Scratching and "rubbing?" (on front of coin) seem to be the major issues, send them in just like cards in a card saver.

VERY hard to find in mint condition. HOFers from these years can bring some nice money.

Good luck! Post a few scans please!!!!!

So are we talking on the actual face of the coins or on the rims? Just pulled a couple out last night and the 71's are much nicer. In particular, an Aaron AS that I can't find a mark on it. Then again, it was late at night and I was tired. I will have to post some scans later of some of the stars. Seems a penny sleeve and card saver wouldn't protect them that much, but i'll have to see. Can they be submitted when subbing regular cards...like in a bulk sub?

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple I had pulled out. Sorry the scans aren't better.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rims take the beating and scratching on the back.

Aaron and Clemente look great, Koufax looks like it might have "pitting" or whatever you would call the spots on the rim.

If you are really worried about putting them in penny sleeves and/or top loaders, they make a plastic snap tight type holder for regular coins that would protect them perfectly, just make sure they are big enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-44MM-Applied-Clear-Round-Cases-Coin-Storage-Capsules-Holder-Round-Plastic/323037377261?hash=item4b368732ed:g:WwIAAOSw3EVaXA-m

Have a mint Killebrew for sale?

Thanks for the scans! :-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen these rust badly in the past, especially the silver bordered ones like your Koufax.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

No different than using the mylar flips for coin submission by PCGS. You can buy them online, at a coin store, or from PSA's sister company. They do not scratch the coin when inserting.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!