Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A quick 2nd opinion on a Bench Rookie

Hey guys I'm selling a J.B. Rookie raw and just wanted a 2nd opinion on grading just to make sure I have it pegged right at a PSA 4
(print defect on name and terrible centering on back) I got a pretty good offer and just wanted a quick opinion. (PS this isn't the one that came back EOT that i discussed in another thread that one is on its way to Beckett.)

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 10:43AM

Can not help on grading issue but have question about what if any impact having the full h in “the” in the bio on the back has on the value of one of these versus having the version with the truncated h that looks like ‘tne”. Is there a ptemium one way or the other ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Didn't even notice that! Anyone know?

• Options

@bishop said:
    Can not help on grading issue but have question about what if any impact having the full h in “the” in the bio on the back has on the value of one of these versus having the version with the truncated h that looks like ‘tne”. Is there a ptemium one way or the other ?

I just looked around on eBay and most copies i see have the full "h"

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

The half h variation is not rare and it is not identified as an error, more of a print defect within the regular population.

Is there any paper loss on the front? I don't believe there is any, but I wanted to make sure.

You were offered the price of a PSA 4 or you wanted to see if it was worth grading to equal that?

• Options

@secretstash said:
    The half h variation is not rare and it is not identified as an error, more of a print defect within the regular population.

Is there any paper loss on the front? I don't believe there is any, but I wanted to make sure.

You were offered the price of a PSA 4 or you wanted to see if it was worth grading to equal that?

No paper loss. yeah i was just going try and sell it for $30-40 if I could save the 10-20$ for grading and then another $20-30 on shipping It would pretty much balance out and save the 20-30+ day wait

• Options

@Matt0224 said:

@secretstash said:

No paper loss. yeah i was just going try and sell it for $30-40 if I could save the 10-20$ for grading and then another $20-30 on shipping It would pretty much balance out and save the 20-30+ day wait

I think the eye appeal could take it a little higher than any grade it falls into. I realize the scratch out is there, but it is not on Johnny and the card is nicely centered and sharp otherwise.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Tough one to price, I just sold a gd-vg that was worn and just ok centering for $33 + ship, and it sold very quickly on eBay. If I were you i would try to get closer to the $40 mark

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

fwiw, this centering got a straight 8. I sold it and the buyer was able to bump it to an 8.5. So don't sell yourself short on reverse centering.

I have to add that apparently that reverse centering is common on that card so that may have factored into the grader's decision.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

with the big scuff on the front and the impression on the back next to stars and it looks like there was pencil erased on Reds in the bio but ...... with great centering. it is probably going to get an "MK" qualifier if sent to psa. it could conceivable be a 6 MK as I feel psa is a little softer when they through the qualifier on there. but that gets you back to a 4 and without the qualifier , it would probably land as a 4.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2018 6:50PM

@packCollector said:
    with the big scuff on the front and the impression on the back next to stars and it looks like there was pencil erased on Reds in the bio but ...... with great centering. it is probably going to get an "MK" qualifier if sent to psa. it could conceivable be a 6 MK as I feel psa is a little softer when they through the qualifier on there. but that gets you back to a 4 and without the qualifier , it would probably land as a 4.

I don't think MK is possible to take a lessor grade with qualifier fwiw if PSA were to deem it marked. You have to have that no matter what.