Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989 and 1987 Topps Tiffany sets.. open or keep whole?

I have one 1989 set and two 1987 sealed sets. Do I break them open and hope for PSA 10's, or do I keep them complete?

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any chance of these sets being bricked like the higher gloss sets in the 90's?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

This week I ripped three Tiffany sets, 1990 Topps, 1984 Topps Traded, and 1988 Score Glossy Traded. I wish they were all still sealed lol.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Leave them sealed.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 12:59PM

It's worth - as an academic exercise - to check the "pop" report on the "key" cards in sets.

Some cards - as submitted - may only have a 1 in 5 chance (based on sub numbers) at a 10 e.g.

But, if one is feeling rather "sporty?" Then the gamble is worth it I guess?

Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Some cards - as submitted - may only have a 1 in 5 chance (based on sub numbers) at a 10 e.g.

The actual odds of pulling a 10 are likely much lower. Not every card is even worth submitting to take a shot.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@Stone193 said:

The actual odds of pulling a 10 are likely much lower. Not every card is even worth submitting to take a shot.

True Kyle.

That's why I put in the "based on sub numbers" only - I was guessing most would realize that's only the beginning of the story.

I've always held to the idea that something "closed" is like Schrödinger's cat and IMO best kept that way.

Mike
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Investment or collection. You know you want to just do it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

"investment or collection. You know you want to just do it."

LOL It would be for resale. ...probably best to keep them sealed instead of gamble on the singles!

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@1966CUDA said:
    "investment or collection. You know you want to just do it."

LOL It would be for resale. ...probably best to keep them sealed instead of gamble on the singles!

Now you’re talking. Here was my thought process on why I said to keep them sealed: it is true that from 1987-1990, Topps produced much more of the Tiffany sets than from 1984-1986,1991, but I believe that most of these have already been ripped from people looking for high grade stars and HOF’ers as they sell for a premium. I believe as time goes on, sealed sets (no matter the year), will gain in value as unopened collectors like myself who hoard these look to add them to their collections.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.