Home Sports Talk
Options

Which catchers in MLB are best at framing likely balls into strike calls?

How often are you watching your favorite slugger and you see him look at ball 3 or 4 and it gets called a strike on a pitch that is obviously framed and the UMP falls for it..... in fact, I'd argue when watching a game on TV you may see many pitches framed that are off the plate and inside. ITs certainly not a new concept but it does seem unjust.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hope the umps review tape of games just as the players do. They should know who the flagrant framers are just as refs know who the floppers are in the NBA. BTW on a pitch that is borderline, on an 0-2 count it will be ball one, on a 3-0 count it is strike one. I see that all the time.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

We all witnessed Aaron Judge get ripped off many times on low outside pitches last year...clearly off the plate. If its a strike Im all for it getting called...Im not a homer and just angry if my guys get smoked and its legit.... ITs the BALLS that are frustrating.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judge wasn't a "victim" of bad calls anymore than any other player, it happens in MLB. what he did fall victim to is what many, many other players also suffered: an inability to recognize and lay off of a hard, biting slider diving down and away from him. it is the out pitch for many pitchers.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

While Gary Sanchez isn't a good defensive catcher he is excellent at framing pitches

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think grandal and flowers have been 2 of the best pitch framers the last few years.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need each pitch reviewed by a New York MLB executive!

;)