Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Prices Could Hit $1,500 An Ounce In 2018 – GFMS

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold Prices Could Hit $1,500 An Ounce In 2018 – GFMS
Neils Christensen Thursday January 25, 2018

(Kitco News) - Gold prices are starting the new year in stellar fashion and investors should see further gains throughout the year, according to analysts at GFMS Thomson Reuters.

In its fourth quarter 2017 Gold Survey, published Thursday, the research team said that they could see prices rallying to $1,500 an ounce at some point in 2018 with gold averaging the year at $1,360 an ounce.

“We believe that the geopolitical climate and equity markets will continue to support gold’s role as a risk hedge,” they said in its report. “Our forecast discounts three Fed rate hikes, although a potential overheating from the effect of the new tax reform could lead to more aggressive tightening, limiting gold’s upside.”

GFMS’s outlook comes as gold prices pushed to a 1.5-year high on the back of a weaker U.S. dollar. The U.S. Dollar Index fell to its lowest level since December 2014 after U.S. Secretary Treasurer said that a weaker U.S. dollar is “good” for the U.S. economy.

February gold futures last traded at $1,363.20 an ounce, up 0.51% on the day.

Looking ahead, GFMS said that the U.S. central bank interest rates are expected to have the biggest impact on gold prices.

“A continuation of U.S. monetary policy tightening will undoubtedly weigh on gold, and the rest of precious metals for that matter, however the fact of tightening itself has long been absorbed by the markets and it is the tone of future meetings and conferences and the pace of rate increases that will play a more pivotal role,” the analysts said.

“Should the Fed appear more concerned about tepid inflation and take on a more gradual path of rate increases, the yellow metal is likely to benefit. On the other hand, a bolder approach to tightening could present a bigger drag for the precious metal,” the report added.

When discussing the past year, GFMS said that physical gold demand totaled 3,932 tonnes, up more than 10.5% from 3,557 tonnes of physical gold consumed in 2016. At the same time, global gold supply totaled 4,409 tonnes, down more than 3.5% from 4,572 tonnes of gold in 2016.

http://www.kitco.com/news/2018-01-25/Gold-Could-Hit-1-500-An-Ounce-In-2018-GFMS.html

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold averaging $1360 for the year is not earth shattering.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold started 2017 in stellar fashion.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see $1500 this year.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Good time to buy. Debt not shrinking.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope so, I'm looking forward to it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 6:18AM

I was a journalist and writer for a very long time ... Still am, I guess. "Could" is such a weenie word ... Gold "could" also do just about anything ... It's kinda like reading the headlines on CNBC.com. One story says "Anyone in cash in this market is going to feel stupid" and the story right below it says "Dow could crash 40% soon."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dollar continues it's decline, which if you look at the Kitco charts is accelerating.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

Agree. Thank you tax cuts that no one asked for, nor did we need right now.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:

@Kkathyl said:

Agree. Thank you tax cuts that no one asked for, nor did we need right now.

No deficit hawks in D.C. these days. Only deficit chickens.