Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do cards ever get damaged by grading companies ?

BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭

always wondered (sometimes for good reasons)
if a card was damaged by a grader or anywhere down the grading process

say, not the grader
but the guy who encapsulates them
.... "Ooops"
what do you do other then, "not me, lets seal up this baby"

anybody get a card back that swears that was not how it was when they shipped it ?

I'm ok with using Beckett as an example :-)

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once subbed a gorgeous centered 97-98 Sp Authentic Tracy Mcgrady RC around 02-03 with PSA's Super express turnaround and it came back a PSA 4 with an inch long impression right in the center of the card. I called them then sent it back and was reimbursed the average sale price for what should have been a mint 9 card. Came out to $400 along with some free vouchers. I never learned what caused the indent but PSA was great taking care of the problem after.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've subbed a few thousand items over the years. One time, a representative from PSA called me mid-processing to let me know that they had damaged a card during grading, and that they would slab it in the new lower grade but would enclose a voucher for the stated insured value of the item. Unfortunately the voucher was not enclosed when I received my order back, and I didn't remember who had called. Never ended up getting it entirely sorted out. Oh well, at least they called.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Several years ago PSA called to tell me the 1971 Jim Wynn I sent in graded at 8.5 but then it was damaged while slabbing it. Same as the previous post, they asked if wanted it in a 4 holder, which I did not. They did offer vouchers for future grading, they were inclosed with my order and they were very generous in rectifying their mistake.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check this link. I'm sure this card was damaged by them during grading but after they reviewed it, they couldn't find damage.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/986333/1991-chipper-jones-upper-deck-rc-worth-picking-up/p1

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

I submitted a Johnny Unitas 1964 Philly card in a BGS 9 holder for crossover and they called me to tell me they mistakenly cracked it out after they graded it as trimmed..... I think I was given 2 or 3 hundred dollars in credit.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

I have had two cards damaged in the grading process and both times PSA called me to let me know and re-graded the card. I was compensated for the damage. One card was a C55 James Gardiner that came back a PSA 2 and the other was a Sportscaster card of Steve Prefontaine.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's happened to me a few times. One I remember was a 1962 Roy Face card. It was a beauty when submitted but came back a 7 with one of the corners dinged where the top layer was folded up. I had a pre and post submission scan of the card but I didn't pursue restitution. I always wondered if the 7 was based on the post-damaged card because I thought it had a shot at a 9 before I sent it.