Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

USPS Issues

For those here who regularly receive packages via USPS, have you noticed "delay" problems that began around early November 2017? Since about early November, nothing I have had sent to me - and I mean nothing - gets to me "on time". The sender mails it promptly(within 24 hrs), but it sits "In Transit" for days upon days and ends up two to four days late from the time I should have gotten it. These are "standard mailer" envelopes, sent first class. Should be 4 days max from anywhere in the US, ends up taking six to eight. From around March of last year through October, everything was prompt. I figured it had something to do with the holidays and would work itself out after Christmas, but its worse if anything. Very frustrating.

Anyone else experience this, and did you try to get an explanation(I know, usps customer service is not the best and they know nothing anyway).

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 12:29PM

i think you answered you own question with having the holidays there. There were 4-5 different times last month i went to the PO to mail something and was standing in line for 30+ mins with the line going out the door.

Is this gonna turn into a USPS loggage thread now? ;)

• Options

The problem still exists. I have a package coming from Cleveland to Orlando last system update was 1/21 and a package sent to me by the same person 2 days later arrived yesterday.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Priority estimates changed around that time, adding the 3-day to many areas. I didn't see anything regarding First Class, but I could have missed it.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides the holidays, also keep in mind the coastal hurricanes, heavy snow storms, and California wildfires. While those natural disasters may not affect the sender or the destination directly, if the large mail processing and distribution centers at the disaster locations are unable to process the mail, their normal mail volume will likely be rerouted to other available processing locations, causing increased workload and processing time at those new locations, even for their usual local mail, and additional delay depending on how far out of the way the "disaster" mail was diverted.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Illinois and i can get a package to PSA in two days where it might take 3 days to get a first class padded mailer to Michigan or Indiana. Sent a first class padded mailer to a friend here in town. Kind of expected it to get to his house the following day since he lives a half mile up the road from the PO. It was shipped to St. Louis then back here to be delivered 3 days after I sent it.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It's post-holiday issues resolving themselves. On the tail end of it now.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

My package from COMC got here in 2 days earlier this week, and I live in NY State. I have not seen any slowdown even during Christmas season.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 4:34PM

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 5:12PM

I have absolutely experienced this lately.

Probably unrelated, but also my mail delivery has been bizarre for the last few months. I routinely get my mail delivered at 8-9 PM. The other day I received a mail delivery at 6:15 AM.
    A $200 item of mine was delivered to my next door neighbor (with the rest of my mail). I got the mail of the neighbor on the other side. I guess it was dark.

• Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

And eBay dings my seller standard for late delivery even though I shipped item promptly.

I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

I had a package recently go from Iowa to Hawaii, then to Guam and then a few more stops in the lower 48 before landing in WNY. At least my cards got to experience nice weather.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

I had a one day priority take a week in Jan

Also, had a first class package from COMC get detoured for a week then show up

• Options

Sorry all of you guys are having issues to, but also glad to hear its not just me. A couple people mentioned COMC above - that's one for me too. Was taking 3 to 4 days, now its 7 to 8 days from ship date. Keep getting "accepted - waiting for acceptance" for days at their PO in Washington. Never an issue with UPS or FedEx.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Sorry all of you guys are having issues to, but also glad to hear its not just me. A couple people mentioned COMC above - that's one for me too. Was taking 3 to 4 days, now its 7 to 8 days from ship date. Keep getting "accepted - waiting for acceptance" for days at their PO in Washington. Never an issue with UPS or FedEx.

I believe the "accepted - waiting for acceptance" means they printed the label but haven’t submitted to the post office and had it scanned in. So it’s actually comc delaying it
    Not the PO. They should change the ship date to the actual day they plan on sending it, i do that with my eBay labels.

• Options

I also had one stuck since 1/21 and now it’s bejng delivered today lol. Who knows where it’s been.

• Options

@PmanFL said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

I believe the "accepted - waiting for acceptance" means they printed the label but haven’t submitted to the post office and had it scanned in. So it’s actually comc delaying it
    Not the PO. They should change the ship date to the actual day they plan on sending it, i do that with my eBay labels.

I said it wrong, it actually says "Accepted - Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". I got that before and called them on it asking if it had actually been delivered to the PO because it looked like it was given to a courier but just sitting somewhere waiting to be scanned in. They said it had been delivered and there must be some error in the tracking, said they had to wait 30 days before they could "look for it". It finally changed a few days later and then got here in three days.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again...

January 27, 2018, 12:02 pm
    In Transit to Destination
    On its way to *********
    The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. The item is currently in transit to the destination as of January 27, 2018 at 12:02 pm. It is on its way to **********.

January 26, 2018, 12:02 pm
    On its way to *********

January 25, 2018, 12:02 pm
    On its way to *********

January 24, 2018, 2:02 am
    Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
    PHOENIX AZ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

January 24, 2018, 2:00 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    PHOENIX AZ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

January 23, 2018, 6:57 pm
    Departed Post Office
    SURPRISE, AZ 85374

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PmanFL said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

Correct.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@PmanFL said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

I said it wrong, it actually says "Accepted - Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". I got that before and called them on it asking if it had actually been delivered to the PO because it looked like it was given to a courier but just sitting somewhere waiting to be scanned in. They said it had been delivered and there must be some error in the tracking, said they had to wait 30 days before they could "look for it". It finally changed a few days later and then got here in three days.

The designation I've seen lately upon initial scanning at the PO is "Acceptance~USPS in possession of item/"

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

USPS... they get the job done... on the cheap.... just not fast!

January 27, 2018, 2:32 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
    DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item departed our DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on January 27, 2018 at 2:32 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    January 26, 2018, 12:29 pm
    On its way to OKEMOS, MI 48864
    January 25, 2018, 12:29 pm
    January 24, 2018, 12:29 pm
    January 23, 2018, 3:29 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 23, 2018, 2:15 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    PONTIAC MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 22, 2018, 11:20 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    PONTIAC MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 20, 2018, 12:50 pm
    January 19, 2018, 12:50 pm
    January 18, 2018, 12:50 pm
    January 17, 2018, 8:40 pm
    DETROIT MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 17, 2018, 8:18 am
    JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 17, 2018, 3:04 am
    JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 17, 2018, 2:23 am
    TETERBORO NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 16, 2018, 11:21 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    TETERBORO NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 16, 2018, 10:06 pm
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    CLIFTON, NJ 07014
    January 16, 2018, 11:40 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    CLIFTON, NJ 07014

• Options

@grote15 said:

@PmanFL said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

Correct.

Yeh, this seems to be the obvious explanation despite what comc claimed. I assume they forgot to put it in the "expedited" bin and it just got put in the "regular" bin or something. Both my packages(different companies) have now "mysteriously" made it to at least the Jax regional hub or here to my post office, so it seems to have worked itself out finally.